NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

type file managment with source code control

@chilidog wrote:

guys this is touching on another topic that I would like to explore further.  I think it makes sense to start another thread.  how do we do this? should I start another thread or would somebody else like to do that?

Just create a new thread if you'd like. I think I got enough information from jiggawax on his issues with type palettes, but if there is another issue you'd like to explore further, just post a new question.

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 24
(1,282 Views)

I guess I should have been more clear.  By default TestStand points to the default TS cfg dir which is located in C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\<TestStand Version>\Cfg

If a cfg file doesn't exist in there it will go ahead and create it in the default state.  This isn't true for ALL cfg files.  Just some of them.  I don't know exactly which ones.

Using Station Options you can point to a new location on disc.  That new location needs to contain all of the cfg files.  So basically you copy your default cfg folder over to the new location (could be in the SCM somewhere).  However, the problem is that most files in an SCM are read only until you check them out.  Your cfg files cannot be read only.  Because behind the scenes TestStand is constantly modifiying those files.  That's why you should NOT share your cfg files (other than Users.ini).  Because if you go change tracing then all developers will see the new tracing and might not like that.

However, in the case of a deployment machine you will want all the config settings to be a certain way.  So you deploy cfg files that are set up for the deployment benches.  You can add those files to your TSW (Workspace file) and then put them in the cfg folder on the deployment bench using the deployment utility.

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 24
(1,281 Views)

@~jiggawax~ wrote:
If a cfg file doesn't exist in there it will go ahead and create it in the default state.  This isn't true for ALL cfg files.  Just some of them.  I don't know exactly which ones.

All config files will be recreated in their default state except for ToolMenu.ini which, if you don't copy it over, will be recreated as empty, thus losing the default toolmenu items.

-Doug

Message 23 of 24
(1,269 Views)

Thanks Doug!

I wasn't aware of that.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 24
(1,257 Views)