From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

teststand hangs after test occasionally, sometimes for 10m

Any idea how to deal with TS hanging after a test?

Right now its not responding, and if I click on the sequence editor it greys out for several minutes.

Where do I start looking for issues?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(1,070 Views)

I would start analyzing the scenarios under which TestStand starts to hang, does it hang on a specific step, look at what kind of code modules does it hang and how often etc.,

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(1,061 Views)

After a test

Is this after the test is done running, but before the results are created? Are you using any custom result processing plug ins?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(1,024 Views)

No, it seems to be hanging on the report generation; sometimes the PDF creation, but sometimes I even see the PDF and it's still hanging.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(1,020 Views)

Do you observe hanging if you disable the PDF report plugin?

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(1,015 Views)

Yes; Though its so intermittent that I'll try something and it will seem to work, and then the same problem will occur later on.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(1,010 Views)

This clearly shows that the PDF report plugin is the culprit, did you create the plugin or is it the one that ships with TS?

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(1,007 Views)

It's the one that ships with TS.

(I'm sorry I was confused about this... it's actually obvious.  However I created code that copied the PDF to a network location.  It takes so long to generate the report that I put a long timeout in this, and so when I disabled the PDF I still has a long delay, but this time it was all me).

So yes, it's the built in PDF generator.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(1,003 Views)

Hi again.  I'm sorry.  This has been a crazy week (shipping a system this weekend) and so I wrote things on autopilot.

I think there are a couple problems...

1) Report Generation takes too long.  I have turned off the PDF option, and it still takes a long time.  I am using the "on-the-fly" option, but it doesn't seem to help.

2) PDF generation may or may not be the problem, but it looks as though, when I use file explorer to look at the report, that the PDF pops up fairly quickly after the XML report is complete.

3) When using SeqEdit, the interface will also lock up.  I can't figure it out fully, but sometimes it just sits there for minutes greyed out, and then starts to respond again.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(994 Views)

Hi,

This can be due to memory or high CPU usage in your sequence.

Open the task manager and monitor the processor and memory usage.

That should give you an indication as to what is happening.

This KB should also help :

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000x3NpCAI&l=en-IN

Also you can probably skip few steps at a time and pinpoint to which is the one creating the problem.

Ravi

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(973 Views)