NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

terminated or abort

Hi,

I was wondering what is the major difference between terminated and abort in teststand.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,106 Views)

Terminate will run steps in Cleanup, Abort will not.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,105 Views)

And just as addtional.

If you are running your stuff inside a process model. Terminate will generate a report and you are able to restart once more. Abort will report nothing because process model will be aborted, too.

Regards  

Juergen

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,084 Views)

From p 3-7 of the NI TestStand Reference Manual, "Terminating and Aborting Executions" section:

"When you terminate an execution, all the Cleanup steps, including subsequences the Cleanup steps call, execute normally and disregard the pending termination. If you terminate an execution, or reselect Terminate while a Cleanup step is running and the step monitors for termination, the step terminates prematurely and TestStand proceeds to execute the next Cleanup step. Terminating a Cleanup step terminates only that step and the execution proceeds with the next Cleanup step. When you terminate an execution while the client sequence file is still running, the default process model continues to run, possibly testing the next UUT or generating a report.

When you abort an execution, the Cleanup steps do not run, and the process model does not continue. Abort an execution in cases when you want an execution to completely stop as soon as possible. In general, it is better to
terminate execution so the Cleanup steps can return the system to a known state. Abort an execution only when you are debugging or when you are sure it is safe to skip the Cleanup steps for a sequence."

Tom
TestStand Documentation
Message 4 of 9
(5,064 Views)

Hi All,

Terminate not calling Cleanup step,

Am I missing any configuration?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,151 Views)

Hi saran1988,

Try creating a new sequence file with a message popup in Main and another message popup in Cleanup. Set the message expression to "Main" and "Cleanup" just to make sure there isn't any confusion which is which. Now Run MainSequence and when the execution gets to the "Main" message popup, click Terminate Execution or Ctrl+Shift+F9. Does the "Cleanup" popup occur? Basically, I just want to make sure we have the simplest reproducible case of the behavior you're seeing.

Mark M.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,137 Views)

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the reply. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,002 Views)

Hi,

After terminating the sequence the report says that 'Report generation interrupted.'

I am trying to create a sequence in which report should generate after terminating the sequence.

Am I missing something here?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,511 Views)

Hi Hruti,

The above thread is over one year old so I recommend creating a brand new thread for higher visibility. 

In that thread, could you expand upon what steps your sequence goes through before a typical termination?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,496 Views)