From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suggested template workspace

I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a suggested template TestStand workspace. I'm starting a new task and want to have some type of organization.  Am I correct, first of all, that I would want to start out with a workspace, then add a project to it?  Would I ever have more than one project.  If not, why wouldn't I just have the project as the top level.  I'm starting my new task in TestStand 3.5

In a related question ...

I inherited a TestStand 3.1 workspace file (.tsw) but I'm looking at it in TestStand 3.5.  It contains a config file (TS_Config) - in it are a number of .ini files, a .log file, and the file TS_Config.tpj

another .tpj file entitled TS_OI_FF_User.tpj - in it are three files (.exe, .ico, .uir)

Finally, another .tpj exists, that contains a num of .uir files, a .seq, a folder for CodeModules (containing a dll).

I have two questions about this...

(1) What is a .tpj file?
(2) When I right-click on the workspace, all I can insert is a project file (.tps), and from there I can only add folders or files.  Is the folder concept pointing to the actual folder on my c-drive or is this like the LabVIEW folder which is not pointing to the actual folder?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,159 Views)
In response to your questions:

(1) What is a .tpj file?
A TPJ file is a TestStand Project File.  TestStand uses different hierarchical levels in order to organize files.  The highest level is the Workspace.  Workspaces contain Projects.  Project can contain files or folders.  These types of files help developers organize their files throughout development and later deploy their systems.

(2) When I right-click on the workspace, all I can insert is a project file (.tps), and from there I can only add folders or files.  Is the folder concept pointing to the actual folder on my c-drive or is this like the LabVIEW folder which is not pointing to the actual folder?
The folder isn't an actually folder on your hard drive.  This folder only lives inside the Project file and can contain files located in many different folder.  Therefore, it is very similar to the LabVIEW Project folder.

Let me know if this answers your questions.

Regards,

Santiago D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,140 Views)

So .prj was the extension used in previous TestStand projects, and that became .tpj, correct?

Also, what is the .tso file created when I create a new workspace and project file.

Finally, are there any suggested templates for good project/workspace organization?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,135 Views)

The .tso file contains some of the options and properties of the Workspace such as the version of TestStand used to create it, and whether the trees should be expanded or not.  You can open both the .tso and .tsw with a text editor to see what they contains.

There isn't a recommended template on how to organize your workspace and project.  The structure will be application dependent.  As long as you believe it is helpful and contains all the files you need you should be fine.

Regards,

Santiago D

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,102 Views)