NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

source code control in teststand

Hi Sir, 

I am not sure there is a tool or method, to control the sourcecode version in teststand.

Just like Git or SVN.

Thanks.

Keep moving
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,061 Views)

Can you be more specific? What is the actual question? If you ask about the possibility to integrate Sequence Editor with some source code control tool then check this: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019Kh2SAE&l=pl-PL

If you ask for tools to do diff/merge then check this: https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052AA-01/tsref/infotopics/diffmerge/

In general, you can put any file under any SCC, so it doesn't matter if we talk about sequence files or vis and Git or SVN. 

Usually I see SVN with TestStand.

Michał Bieńkowski
CLA, CTA

Someone devote his time to help solve your problem? Appreciate it and give kudos. Problem solved? Accept as a solution so that others can find it faster in the future.
Make a contribution to the development of TestStand - vote on TestStand Idea Exchange.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,043 Views)

Hi Sir,

Thanks for your quick response. So with the third party tool, such as PushOK and TortoiseSVN, no matter the source code in local harddisk, or a share point, we can do the version control, check in/check out, right ?

Thanks.

Keep moving
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,038 Views)

Yes. Perhaps there are some limitations in specific situations but if we talk about normal use then definitely yes.

Right now, I have on my local drive couple TestStand projects from a SVN repository (remote server). All controlled with TortoiseSVN. So I can see logs, commit comments, green/red file icons and all that cute things 🙂

Michał Bieńkowski
CLA, CTA

Someone devote his time to help solve your problem? Appreciate it and give kudos. Problem solved? Accept as a solution so that others can find it faster in the future.
Make a contribution to the development of TestStand - vote on TestStand Idea Exchange.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,033 Views)

@Brzhou123 wrote:

Thanks for your quick response. So with the third party tool, such as PushOK and TortoiseSVN, no matter the source code in local harddisk, or a share point, we can do the version control, check in/check out, right ?

As was already stated, anything can go into SCC.  I put Word and Excel documents, simple text files, LabVIEW VIs, projects, controls, etc., and TestStand sequences in SCC.  Until recently, I used TSVN.  I was forced to change to GitHub due to corporate policy.  But it works well with Source Tree.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,023 Views)

Maybe it's worth to mention that there is a difference in the way how SVN and Git works internally (there are plenty articles about it). The important thing to highlight is that Git is not very good for controling binary files or Photoshop, Word etc. because each change record will consume a lot of memory. So for such scenarios better to use SVN or Git LFS extension.

Michał Bieńkowski
CLA, CTA

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,908 Views)

Hello,

Some months ago I faced similar problem which SCC to use.

I tried  the PushOK plugin with TestStand and TortoiseSVN, it was working, but with limitations.

The functionality provided by the plugin was not enough for me, so I created my own TestStand version control library in a sequence file.

My idea was to automatically update/commit changes when sequence files are opened. I placed in each test sequence file a SequenceFileLoad/UnLoad callback, which calls my SVN library sequence in a new execution, and performs update/commit or locking of the sequence files by low level using the svn.exe.

Also possible to create SVN Tag with this method.

bigyo

Message 7 of 7
(2,888 Views)