From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Online" massage from TestStand to Labview

HI boys,

I want to show a variable in TestStand "Online" in a Labview Front Panel, I mean, if the value this variable changed, I don't need call this VI again, the variable should be updated by itself.

Of course I can call the VI again to read the new value of the variable, but I think, there must be a smart wey to do it.Smiley Happy

Cabio

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,931 Views)

Cabio,

first of all, not all here are necessarily "boys"... 😉

Second: VIs only update elements if they are RUNNING (with certain exceptions). So just open a front panel with an indicator and *magically* put in updated values is not the way it will work properly.

I also epect this question to refer to your "progress display" question.

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,913 Views)

HI Norbert_B

"boys" is only for funnySmiley Wink

So you mean, it is impossible the variable in TestStand automatic to update, by only once call the VI?

But I think there must be a way to do it. I have tried with User Interface, but it is really hard to understand.

Maybe I should wait a expert to answer the question.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,905 Views)

The key for updating values in the UI are "UI Messages". You could use this mechanism also for asynchronuously running dialog VIs, but i wouldn't recommend that. The user interface is the right place for this.

When digging into UI Messages, you have to take care of two points:

a) The sequence has to post them (PostUIMessageEx from the thread class)

b) The UI has to capture them and update the indicator (callback VI, using reference of the indicator to set the value)

hope this helps,

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,902 Views)