NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to modify runtime FileGlobals variables from process model in edit time

I have a sequence, which executes PropertyLoader step in runtime, to import values for FileGlobals variables in order to define test parameters for the following tests later on. Values for the FileGlobals variables are imported from an Excel worksheet. 

In order to give an operator ability to modify the test parameters in the Excel worksheet for a later execution of a test, I am thinking to add a simple dialog, which can be started from the process model configuration entry point in order to do these modifications. 

My problem now is that what would be the approach to access the FileGlobals "runtime variables" in edit time from the process model configuration entry point ? With other words, I would need to initialise the ProcessModelClient FileGlobals variables from the Excel worksheet, let the operator do the modifications, and export the changes to the Excel worksheet. (I have resolved the export to Excel in runtime.) Could it be done by somehow cloning the FileGlobals to a new object, do to modifications and export variables to FileGlobals variables after the modification ?

Or is there any more simple solution ?

Regards,
Petri

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,560 Views)
Hi Petri,

I think that the following document explains how this can be accomplished:

How Can I Access my Client Sequence FileGlobals from my TestStand Process Model?

I also believe that the following thread deals with somthing like yours:

Please let me know if it helps.
Pelle S
Account Manager
National Instruments Sweden
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,527 Views)

Hello Pelle,

I studied the first link before. That information describes how to access the FileGlobals after a sequence is started as I understood it. My problem is that the sequence is not started when using the configuration entry point in process model (but sequence file loaded e.g. in deployed OI). Therefore, I have only access to FileGlobalsDefaults, where some variables may have e.g. an undefined array size. If I could change the FileGlobalsDefaults, I have understood that when sequence is started, a run-time copy of the FileGlobalsDefaults to FileGlobals is created. But, I think there is restrictions to modify the sequence file in a deployed base version license. Does this restriction come to effect in this case ?

The second link will have the same restriction as the first one related to access the run-time copy of the FileGlobals variables in configuration entry point in process model.

I think following procedure would work in configuration entry point sequence:

1) copy dynamically FileGlobals from client sequence file to process model

2) import the values for FileGlobals using the property loader from Excel worksheet

3) do the modifications of the FileGlobals values

4) export the modified FileGlobals to Excel worksheet dynamically

5) delete the dynamically created FileGlobals in process model

I attach three files in order to test this. All files must be stored in same folder. In station options other models must be allowed.

Regards,

Petri

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,521 Views)

I have added some steps to collect FileGlobals variables from client sequence file and create them dynamically in process model. I think this works for me now, but I have not yet tested if it works in deployed base version license. Dynamic export to Excel I leave out of scope this time.

Regards,

Petri

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,500 Views)

Hi Petri,

I have tried your sequences on a base deployment system (TS 4.0) and it works. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,

Pelle S
Account Manager
National Instruments Sweden
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,483 Views)