From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

finish a report and start the next one within one sequence

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everybody,

since I have not done anything in the sequencial model and other models an options up to now, I have no idea how to start. Maybe you can help me with the following problem:

I have many many teststeps in about 50 sequences. The problem is, that my report gets much too long to be displayed with the internet explorer (I choose the ATML format).  I skip most sequences manually and restart the test until I have everything tested. That's too much manual work.

Now I want to automatically create a new report after, for example 100 teststeps, or on another event.

One problem may be the stylesheet because the sequences are not finished when creating the report.

Another problem is how to tell teststand that it has to finish the first report and start another one.

Thanks for your answer

Meike

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,820 Views)

I forgot to tell: I'm using Teststand 2012

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,819 Views)

Meike,

how many steps does the complete report cover after a full test execution?

What is "too long for display in internet explorer"?

It sounds to me that you either require a specific style sheet which enables you to select for specific sets of steps or a database logging where you can offline select data and create an ATML based report for this selection.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,812 Views)

Hi Norbert,

I don't know how many steps this will actually be (about 100.000 I suppose and it's becoming more). I stopped trying to run all sequences at the time when my test report exceeded 20MB (then it takes hours for the internet explorer to display the report) and then only 1/10th of my tests had run.

database logging sounds interesting but i would prefer a specific style sheet, that will be less work, i hope ;-).

Meike

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,795 Views)

Meike,

having such extended test times/number of steps, i recommend you NOT to expect a single report.

Indeed, database is what i highly recommend you to use, and i would use "On The Fly" right from start.

When working with textual reports, the standard reporting doesn't fit your requirements and there is no option i am aware of to split the content for a single UUT into several report files.

That being said, the solution is to create a custom report plugin. The important point (which creates some kind of complexity) is that the plugin has to collect data during execution and split the report into several files during the test execution of a single UUT. This is not the default setup for the plugins, hence my remark above....

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 12
(4,788 Views)

Thank you Norbert,

seems as if there is no easy solution for my problem 😞

So I should concern myself with the use of database logging or a special report plugin...

Ok, I will... Thanks again 🙂

Meike

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,783 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Meike_Rempe

Meike,

Another option, although less commonly used, would be to break your sequence into subsequences and have some (or all) of these subsequences run in a new execution with the Sequential process model. This will cause multiple, smaller reports to be generated. This approach is described in item 4 in this whitepaper: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14394/en/

This approach seems like it might be what you're looking for. Let us know if you have any more questions about it!

Message 7 of 12
(4,772 Views)

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your answer and the good advice.

I just tested once, still had some problems because ATML report doesn't work and now I get (with HTML format) reports for every single sequence and one big for the main sequence.

I will do some more tests tomorrow.

It seems to be very promising 🙂

Many thanks

Meike

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,768 Views)

noooo,

it forgets the values of my global variables when starting the sequences in the main-sequence :-(.

hope to find an option to remember 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,746 Views)

Meike,

if these are file globals, you might want to configure your sequence file to share file globals between executions in the sequence file properties dialog.

Norbert

Norbert
Message 10 of 12
(4,736 Views)