From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deactivate error dialog

Hi,

additional to my last post I have a question.

I heed the hints of the users reply my last post concerning "don't ignore run-time errors", I checked it if it's usable for my tests.

There is only one problem I can't solve...

If I don't ignore run-time errors I get the (default) dialog-box from TS where I can choose further flow of the sequence.

Can I deactivate or catch this dialog completely without activating "ignore run-time errors", "run cleanup" or "abort"?

Heiko

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,418 Views)

Heiko,

you are correct (again) that the option "Show Dialog" is not usable for you. As an error not necessarily shall terminate the whole test execution, "Run Cleanup" is also questionable.

This leaves only one feasable option: "Ignore".

As discussed in the other thread, ignoring errors behaves different as you expected. The key here is that "Ignore" runtime errors requires the developer to hook-up error handling code on his own.

Therefore, i repeat what i already stated:

- Non-critical errors in code modules shall be handled locally within the code module itself

- Errors, which are not local to code modules, shall be handeld by TestStand. As error handling strategies are very different, depending on application area, personal experience from the developer and, most obvious, requirements for the test system, there if no way that NI can provide a globally, "all-true" error handling

Given the second point, every developer has to take care about errors on his own in the application. That means, TestStand-wise, he has to create some error handling code, which is (as most obvious option, but not the only one!) placed in the SequenceFilePostStepRuntimeError callback.

Make a simple test:

1. Create a sequence which creates a runtime error (statement "Step.Result.Error.Occured = true" is already sufficient). Place steps before and after that step in all three step-groups

2. Play with the "On Runtime Error" settings in the Station Options. Observe the different results (e.g. "Is there a report? If so, what does it state as status for the UUT?")

3. Add the SequenceFilePostStepRuntimeError callback. Insert a message popup there (just as dummy)

4. Rerun your different options for "On Runtime Error" to see the behavior

5. Start creating some "proper" error handling code in the callback

hope this helps,

Norbert

hope this helps,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,409 Views)