From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

checksum creation

Is any feasibility to generate the checksum for the test sequence file and print the same in the test report through test stand tool?

This is the firm confirmation for the test report is being generated by which the test sequence file executed.

This is very urgent please attach a sequence , if you have any idea

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,654 Views)

Every sequence file has a version.  You can access it from an expression in TestStand dynamically by using SequenceFile.AsPropertyObjectFile.Version.

During edit time you can go to Edit>>Sequence File Properties...  On the General tab you should see Version:.

Increment the version every time you change the file and then put that on the report.

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,646 Views)

Jiggawax' suggestion seems like a clean approach to this issue. If you do want the MD5 checksum or a similar calculated value, you can easily do this operation in a code module or with a command-line utility using the Call Executable step type. You can pass the current sequence file's path into this code from RunState.SequenceFile.Path.

As a test, I used the Microsoft File Checksum Integrity Verifier utility, which can be run from the command line and returns the MD5 checksum of a file. I called it in TestStand from a Call Executable step, and stored the output in a Local variable. Then, I used the Additional Results step type to add this value to the report. Here's what it looks like in the report:

checksum.png

Of course, you could use string manipulation functions to pull out only the checksum part of that output, if desired. 

Message 3 of 10
(5,644 Views)

In regards to my approach, one of my colleagues pointed out that sequence files store the file path within the file, so if you move the sequence file and re-save, the checksum will be different. Just something to be aware of, depending on how you wish to verify the checksum.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,621 Views)

Please check the attachment.

The test sequence has two steps - one to compute file checksum of any file,the second step computes file checksum of the currently running sequence.

Also the checksum is logged in the report.(using additional results).

You can use it as is - the DLL also needs to be copied.

I am also attaching the CRC 32 algorithm (.c file) that i have used for this.You can change the algorithm if you need a different method.

Hope this helps.

Ravi

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,594 Views)

is not compactable with my TS, mine is 4.5 and urs is 5.0

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,575 Views)

Replace the sequence attached which is now saved in older version.

Ravi

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,573 Views)

thanks for the quick information ,

I got updated requirement stating that , I need to include the code module in the call backs .

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,571 Views)

Honestly, i am not sure if you are going down the right road.....

What is the puprose of the check sum?

I ASSUME that it should make changes to the test execution visible directly in the report. But what about code modules, which are not part of the sequence file. What are you going to do if they change?

What about having property loader modifying variables and limits during runtime?

What about flexible modification of test execution because of UUT results and/or user interaction?

What about defective instruments or obsolete calibration of them in the test system?

I know the requirement of "biunique test results": The report has to prove biunique HOW the UUT to was tested and what the result was by using which version of code and instruments.

Simply building some weird check sums on a single file is by far not sufficient for that requirement, you require a very sofisticated way to approach this.....

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,566 Views)

I am not sure what you want by code modules?

Can you give more details.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,564 Views)