NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does DB_PLImpotExportProperties throw "Unknown variable or property name. (Error = -17306)"?

Solved!
Go to solution

When I run GenericImportExport.seq, the call to  DB_PLImpotExportProperties brings up the Import/Export dialog. When I copy that step into my existing sequence, the error "Unknown variable or property name. (Error = -17306)" is thrown. I can see no difference between the two. They also appear to be running in the same environment.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,204 Views)

Copy the local variables from GenericImportExport.seq to the local variables of your sequence.

This should resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,192 Views)

Oops, unfortunately I already went in a different direction before I saw this post, and deleted my example. I'm pretty sure I copied the locals that were being explicitly used. I am a little concerned that this implies that the local variables are somehow changed by the DLL call without being explicitly passed. Is that correct?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,181 Views)

So this was bothering me enough that I went back and recreated the problem. I cannot even call the entire sequence without getting this error.

I added a step to my test sequence that makes a call to the sequence GenericImportExport.seq in a separate file (where it was installed). Right-clicking on the the step and selecting "Run Selected Steps" causes the subject error.

I CAN use the tool menu "Import/Export properties..." or open the sequence itself and run ImportExport without a problem.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,177 Views)

I understand your problem.

The import/Export utility is to download the propertly files during offline\static mode.

For dynamic or runtime loading use the property loader step type.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,168 Views)
Solution
Accepted by gizmogal

Further to the post :

The DLL is not able to find some variable and thus errors out.You can check the code at :

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\TestStand 2010 SP1\Components\StepTypes\Database

However you can copy the step itself into your sequence ( rather than calling the sequence) and its variables.

This will work.The DLL uses the Teststand local variables.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,166 Views)

Okay, that did work.

I think it's unconventional to have a dll make use of variables outside itself - it's not an effective use of data hiding for sure. Dll methods should not make any assumptions about the caller.

But at least the problem is explained now.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,162 Views)