NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is needed to run the deployment utility while not logged into Windows?

I am running a bash script to perform nightly builds of our test s/w. This script calls the deployment utility via command line. The actual command I am using is:

/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/National\ Instruments/TestStand\ 4.1.1/Components/Tools/Deployment\ Utility/DeploymentUtility -- build "C:\Sandbox\ATE\Production_Test_Projects\eHLC_RX\Deployment\Unified_eHLC_RX_Test_Deployment_Config.tsd"

It works flawlessly as long as I am logged into the PC. I have a cron job running to invoke my main script on a daily basis. As soon as I log out of the PC is when I am having the trouble. The script does get started but when looking at the processes on the PC I see my bash sessions open as well as the deployment utility open but it is not doing anything. If I end the deployment utility process the bash script continues and exits normally. Is there something I have to put in the command line to make the deployment utility work if I am not logged in? I have the cron running as a service and it is using my username and pw when required. But the deployment utility just hangs and does nothing. The deployment utility log is blank so it was basically opened but did not perform the build. Any ideas as to what may be causing this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Troy

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,917 Views)
I'm currious how you have this set up. What operating system is the TestStand system using, xp, vista, 32-bit, 64-bit ? By mentioning cron and BASH, it sounds like there is a second unix based or unix-like OS involved, if that is the case are you remoting into your some how? Also, are you capable of running any command successfully on your other computer when you are not logged in? Such as making a new folder, or running an executable...etc.
Richard S -- National Instruments -- (former) Applications Engineer -- Data Acquisition with TestStand
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,899 Views)
I am running WindowsXp-32. As far as my script is concerned I am running that within the Cygwin environment. As I said the script itself runs fine while I am not logged in. It is TestStand that starts but does not do anything. If I am logged in it runs flawlessly.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,895 Views)

Here is a little more information. I changed the service that is running my script which is calling the Deployment Utility via command line from This Account on the Log On tab which requires my username and password to Local System Account and checked Allow Service to Interact with Desktop. This time when I was logged out of the PC and the script started I logged back on and could see the message that was thrown when the Deployment Utility was initialized. I could not see this with the service set to the other parameter because it is running in the back ground. I am sure this is what is happening because in this state I check the processes on the PC and it is reflecting the same information. The memory usage is the same and the Deployment Utility is doing nothing obviously waiting for acknowledgement of this error. If I click OK the build does start but at the end I get all types of debug messages at the end which do not happen when I am logged in and this process completes. Does anyone have any idea what this error message is referring to and maybe how to fix it?

Thanks again for any help.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,882 Views)

Trosier,

I'm in the process of trying to reproduce your setup, i'll let you know when I get some more information.

Richard S -- National Instruments -- (former) Applications Engineer -- Data Acquisition with TestStand
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,851 Views)
I was not able to run the deployment utility when logged out of windows either. It appears that this is because the deployment utility utilizes the TestStand engine, and the TestStand engine currently must have a user logged in inorder to behave correctly. There is a corrective action request currently in our system to fix this behavior. The number is 200981, and when it is fixed, you can find that number in the release notes along with a problem description and the fix. I have added your information ot the corrective action request, so we can consider this use case while we are looking into this issue.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,807 Views)
Richard - Thank you for looking into this. Right now I will just have to make sure I am logged in to run the deployment utility until this is fixed.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,780 Views)

Trosier,

Richard S. mentioned that you'll be able to find the bug fix number in the Release Notes document when the issue is resolved. The bug fix list will actually appear in the TestStand Readme.html document, not the Release Notes.

Tom

Tom
TestStand Documentation
Message 8 of 9
(3,748 Views)
Thanks for the clarification, and sorry for the confusion.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,724 Views)