NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using TestStand 2.0, what is the best way to run a smaller sequence, in parallel to the main sequence, and access the main sequence's FileGlobals?

I did ask this a while back and appreciate your responses. We did upgrade to TestStand 2.0. The basic problem is that I have written and TestStand sequence to test Avionics black boxes. We use Excel to specify the signal names and input data and expected output data for thousands of test cases. My LabVIEW VI's are small generic modules that refer back to TestStand to determine how to set or get the signals. This way, on other projects, we simple change a few signal names, instruments, and were good to go. We use Analog, Digital, Pulse Trains, Synchro Resolvers, LVDT/RVDT, power supplies, logic analyzers, ... to perf
orm these test. The TestStand sequence can run different black boxes on difference test benches based on the data contained with the TestStand FileGlobals. Now I have come across a special situation where in a couple of input signals are set based on a couple of output signals. I developed a short sequence to read the output signals, compute the values of the inputs signals, and set the instrument to send that data to the UUT for those couple of signals. Anyway, I have to reference the FileGlobals to determine what the instruments are and how to access them are used for the signals involved. Since I have a lot of FileGlobal data, I can not pass it as parameters to the parallel sequence.

What I would like to be able to do is just reference the main sequence's FileGlobals as if they were the parallel sequence's FileGlobals.

I am willing to send a copy of the sequence being used to whomever thinks they know a good way to accomplish this if it would help them to determine what I am t
rying to do. I will need to know who you are since we do not want this being published, as is, since it contains some signals names which the company that I am consulting at may consider proprietary. You can
email me directly at my company

WilliamSimmonsSr@SimmonsSoftware.net
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,956 Views)
a) If the parallel sequence is in the same file and...
a1) ...you launch the parallel sequence as a thread in the execution of main sequence, you do not need to do anything. The sequences share the same file globals
a2) ...you launch the parallel sequence as a separate execution, you must mark the file globals as shared by all executions. You specify this in the Sequence File Global control on the sequence file properties dialog box.

b) If the parallel sequence is in a different file (or even the same file), you can pass the entire set of file globals as a single sequence parameter to the parallel sequence when you launch it. Make a Container parameter and right click on it to turn off type checking. Pass FileGlobals to the parameter. When you edit the subsequenc
e, you won't be able to see specific file globals under the parameter but they will appear at runtime.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,956 Views)