NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using IEnumerable<string> Variables

Banging my head on something that should be simple.  Any help is appreciated.

I was thinking generics were now supported in TestStand.

Trying to use a local variable to pass into .NET method, but getting conversion errors.  I know it is a mismatch between Array of Strings and the IEnumerable<string>, but not sure how to setup as the variable.

testergi_0-1613158443018.png

testergi_3-1613158550290.png

testergi_4-1613158565481.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(116 Views)

Here is more details.

Based on link: TestStand 2010 New Features - TestStand 2019 Help - National Instruments (ni.com)

Generics Support

The .NET Adapter supports all fully-specified generic types that the public members of an assembly use. Thus, the adapter supports any generic type used as a parameter, return value, property, or field type in a public member. For example, you can call an assembly with a method that takes the List<Int32> type as a parameter and you can create instances of the type and call members on the type.

So the question is... how do you setup a variable to pass into method for List<string> or IEnumerable<string>?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(83 Views)

You will have to create a List<string> (the class should be available in whatever assembly uses that type in a public member) and then copy the teststand array into that using List<string>.Add() in a For Each Or For loop like the following:

dug9000_0-1613405047875.png

Unfortunately TestStand does not currently support implicit conversion of a TestStand array into a List<T> or IEnumerable<T> of the corresponding basic type. That would be a reasonable feature request though.

Hope this helps,

-Doug

Some examples of what the module specification looks like:

dug9000_0-1613405540743.png

dug9000_1-1613405566730.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(71 Views)

Thanks for the info.  I finally broke down and changed my API to just use a string array to get around this.  As you mentioned, it would be nice to get this feature added as many APIs use List and flavors these days.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(67 Views)