From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB DAQ directly usable in Test Stand?

Hello,

Is it possible to use DAQ NI USB-6008 directly in Test Stand (e.g. use a numeric test with an AD-Channel)? 

Or is it required to use one of the supportet programming languages (LabVIEW, LabWindows™/CVI und Measurement Studio für Visual Studio .NET) , create a function/dll and call this from Test Stand?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,526 Views)

You can leave out *any* programming language as the programming language itself requires an API (Application Programming Interface) from the driver to access the driver's functionality.

Most drivers are a single or a set of DLL(s), the API for the programming language is most often only a wrapper for that DLL(s).

Using the DLL adapter, you can access the driver directly as long as:

- It is a DLL which is documented about its functions and their parameters

- You know how to use the functions of the driver (specific order, which functions are required, which optional, ...)

Please note that you have to write a sequence calling quite a number of functions one after another. So a simple acquisition can consist of more than a bunch of steps if you do not encapsulate it into a single code module.

The recommended way to address your question is indeed: Use a programming language to call the driver.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,520 Views)

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that the driver contains function to initialize the DAQ, set outputs, read inputs etc.

I also understand that I could write a wrapper that calls a number of driver-functions to set up the card, and from TestStand I could call my own "init"-function.

The question is whether National delivers an API for the DAQ that allows to use the Inputs/Outputs EASILY in TestStand (e.g. one Action-Step to initialize the card, one Step to read a input, use a digital input directly for a pass/fail step, etc.)

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,516 Views)

There is nothing predefined. So you have to study the C-API of DAQmx yourself (documentation installed with the driver).

And, no, there are no examples which show this use case of DAQmx (direct driver call by TS)......

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,511 Views)

Yes,

You can download NI-VISA and set up the daq channels in NI MAX.  Using visa32.dll, you can initialize a resource and call up the functions you set up in NI Max.  I know this answer is really late, but it can be used for future reference.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,182 Views)

Hi,

there is an other option by using a step-type

http://www.mesulog.fr/produits.php?art=3

Regrads

Juergen

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
Message 6 of 6