NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UIMessageEvent Questions

I'm trying to debug a behavior involving the UIMessageEvent callback, and I've got some questions as to where I can find some info.

Specifically:

The Callback that's currently coded has a case structure wired to the event property of the UIMessage, and the case in question is the number 4.  Where can I find out what text code (like UIMsg_UserMessageBase) that pertains to?

Also, this callback is meant to be triggered by the Show VI Front Panel boolean.  Where can I find the step that actually processes that boolean?

Thanks,

Seth

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,878 Views)

Hello,

You'll find some litterature about UIMessageCodes on this page : UIMessageCodes Enumeration (also available in TestStand help). The value 4 is UIMsg_Trace. I'm not sure this UIMessage is explicitly send by a step (perhaps in ProcessModel?). I guess it's sent by the Engine itself.

Here is an other interesting link about UIMessages : Using TestStand User Interface Messages (UI Messages)

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,871 Views)

Seth,

It's also important to note that there are 2 different events that handle UI Messages:

UserMessage - UIMsg_UserMessageBase and greater

UIMessageEvent - Engine Events, handle before manager gets them

Which one do you need?

I'm assuming the UIMessageEvent since code 4 cannot be picked up in UserMessage.  If you turn off tracing you won't get this event.  It occurs when a trace point is reached.  Most commonly developers use this to know when a step is complete.  However, like I said, if tracing is off this won't happen so that could be bad.

For troubleshooting sometimes I like to just pop up a message box with concatenated information about the message.  Just flatten it all to a string.

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,867 Views)

Mattieu,  Thanks for the link.  That's what I was looking for.  It's interesting to see that it's the Trace.

Jigg,  Yes, I'm looking for the UIMessageEvent.  I was just referencing the UserMessage for the sake of an example of that code.  

It's interesting that it's the Trace message.  Is there any way to specifically find when exactly that gets called?   

Btw, the code that's running is to load the VI of a step into a SubPanel located in the Operator Interface.  I'm open to using another method to get the SubPanel populated with the running VI.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,858 Views)

The trace event occurs whenever the trace arrow (the little yellow arrow in TestStand) moves from one step to the next.  At least that's how I understand it.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,827 Views)