NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracing

Quick question:

I would assume that a sequence would have a faster execution time if tracing is disabled vs. tracing being enabled. Is this true?

If it is the case, I'm not sure why my sequence test time is showing otherwise.

I am aware that when tracing is enabled, there's a slider that we can use to set the speed; however, does disabling the tracing defaults to a slower speed than the slider put on the fast?

I'm trying to follow this method basically (here), but I'm not sure why disabling tracing is just making my sequence go slower.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,689 Views)

@b1ack1otus wrote:
[...]

If it is the case, I'm not sure why my sequence test time is showing otherwise.

[...]

Can you show this result?

Disabling tracing removes a static delay between steps hence speeding up overall test execution on a "number of step" basis. the slider simple modifies the length of the delay.

I've never seen a test slowing down when disabling tracing.....

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,672 Views)

Yes. The first 5 are values with Tracing enabled and the one follows are with Tracing disabled.

All test are done withe the same unit and it's passing the same tests. 

Maybe it's a setting that is causing this.

I can only send snippets of the file, but let me know if you require further information.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,670 Views)

Are this in units seconds?

Can there be timeout issues if tracing does NOT slow down execution?

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,664 Views)

Hey Norbert,

Sorry for the late response but yes, the units are in seconds.

I don't think the execution have timeouts or is waiting for function to process.

In any case I'll run more test and see what happens. I do notice inconsistencies such that tracing disabled does produce a faster time. It is not my much though.

I'm most likely to try and do more than 5 runs on each and see what the average is.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,646 Views)

Fully agree with 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,642 Views)

Ok thanks everyone for the response.

But I'm not sure what caused the result to be the opposite.

I ran a couple of test yesterday and it does seem to be faster now when disabled.

It was just interesting on how execution time seemed to increase when tracing is disabled  ... hmm

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,632 Views)