From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TipStrip Localization Bug

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there,

I'm building some Custom Step Types. I want my button and conrols strings saved in a *.ini file (MyStepTypeStrings.ini) in Components/Languages/English. My code modules are builds in LabVIEW, and I have trouble with TipStrip localization : TS_MY_TIP_STRIP¨becomes MY_TIP_STRIP. As I'm using standard OK/Cancel/Help buttons, I first localize for Category COMMON_DLG, and then for Category MY_CATEGORY.

The VI hierarchy shows the VI TestStand - Localize Front Panel.vi (password protected) is calling TestStand - Localize String and Update TipStrip.vi (not protected). Here is the diagram TestStand - Localize String and Update TipStrip.vi

TestStand - Localize String and Update TipStrip.vi

Note that the output Found of TestStand - Get Ressource String.vi is not used. As long as Default String is not connected, if the Symbol is not found, TipStrip is updated with Symbol value. In my case, TS_MY_TIP_STRIP becomes MY_TIP_STRIP.

I found a workarround : if I first localize MY_CATEGORY (befor COMMON_DLG), it works fine. But it seems to me this is a bug...

Best regards,

Message 1 of 5
(4,570 Views)

...There is a risk the Symbol of a TipStrip is altered if a Symbol is not found in a Category. The Found output of Get Ressource String is probably checked for Captions localization (I do not see this behavior for captions). The same protection mecanism should be implemented for TipStrip:

foundCheck.png

Could someone from NI tell me if this will be taken in count?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,495 Views)

I think people assume you are from NI because you have a blue name......  😮

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,484 Views)

...That's right, indeed. I quit NI France in 2010. I've changed my e-mail (two times), but I'm still a 'blue' guy ^^

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,454 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mathieu_R.

Hey Mathieu,

I filed a report on this issue with the reference number 441858. I can see how the current behavior could be a bit unexpected, and I'm glad you found a workaround for your issue. Thanks for letting us know, and post back if you have any further questions about it!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,418 Views)