NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The type library information for 'TestStand IVI Step Types' was not found (Error code: -18351)

Hi,
I get the error in the message subject when I add an IVI-C step (no matter IVI Power Supply, IVI Dmm or others) and try to edit the step by pressing Ctrl+E (or double-click the step and click "Edit IVI Power Supply" for instance).

I have installed 2 IVI-C libraries that I downloaded from 'NI idnet' both with IVI technology (namely agn330xa_MS.msi and agn6700_MS.msi). They can both be seen in Add/Remove programs under "NI IVI Specific Drivers" group.

The error message says "Make sure the server is registered".
Does anybody know what server is it complaining about and how can the registration be done?

Regards,
S. Eren BALCI
IMESTEK
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,219 Views)
Hi ebalci,

I believe this error is occurring because the ActiveX components that are used by the IVI step types are either not properly installed or not properly registered.  I would recommend first making sure that the IVI compliance package and NI-VISA are installed on the system.  If both of these are already installed, I would recommend running the TestStand Version Selector because this should re-register the ActiveX components used by the IVI step type.  The TestStand Version Selector can be found by going to the Start Menu>>Programs>>National Instruments>>TestStand 3.5.  You will need to select the version of TestStand you want to use and click the "Make Active" button.  I have also pasted links below to VISA and the IVI compliance package.  Hope this helps!

NI-VISA
IVI Compliance Package
Pat P.
Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,207 Views)

Even though this post is old, I just had the same issue and want to share some extra details of how I got it solved.  The IVI drivers are not installed by default, and must be manually installed.  There's a knowledge base article for how to install the IVI drivers, and it instructs you download a very large ISO file, but what it doesn't tell you is that after using 7zip to view the contents, there is a folder called Additional Installation Files where you can install the IVI drivers.  Once those are installed, you can set the TestStand version using the selector tool to re-associate the drivers.  Note that I had one extra step to perform.  I had to use the TestStand version selector to set my installation to 2016, and then back to 2019 before it all actually worked.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,966 Views)