NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Teststand 2013 User interfaces

Solved!
Go to solution

I have upgraded to TestStand 2013. When I try to use either the Full-Featured User Interface or the Simple User Interface I always get two errors no matter what sequence file I run.

First error.jpg

Second error.jpg

I have also noticed that the "TestStandModelModelOptions.ini" file in <TestStand>Cfg is the same file from 2012. It was not upgraded or updated when 2013 was installed.

Unfortunately, I have tried upgrading to LabWindows/CVI 2013 and had nothing but problems when I did that. Now I have tried upgrading to TestStand 2013 and nothing but problems. I am seriously considering moving away from the NI tools completely!

John O'C
Staff Test Systems Engineer
Woodward, Inc.
Skokie, Illinois, USA

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...
Wow...What a Ride!"
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,291 Views)

Hey John,

This is an unusual situation, and not something we normally see. I have a few questions and suggestions that might help us narrow down what's happening here:

1) Are you running the user interface as an administrator? 

2) Have you successfully executed sequences using the Sequence Editor, or do you see problems there as well?

3) Do you have any custom model plugins in use?

4) Could you try running the TestStand Version Selector again and set 2013 to active? Even if it already says 2013 is active, running the operation again will re-register some files and can sometimes resolve these types of issues.

Hopefully we can get this figured out quickly--as I said, this definitely isn't a normal occurrence in TestStand 2013.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,281 Views)

Do you have a custom cfg directory?

By default teststand 2013 uses:

C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\TestStand 2013\Cfg

So if you are seeing the files as being from 2012 then you likely have a custom cfg directory. Try choosing a different cfg directory for 2013 then you used in 2012 and try starting with an empty cfg folder so that default settings are restored.

If you want to migrate settings from a previous version, use the migration tool rather than manually copying settings files.

Hope this helps,

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,247 Views)

Hi Daniel,

1) Are you running the user interface as an administrator?

I have tried both ways and still get the same error.

2) Have you successfully executed sequences using the Sequence Editor, or do you see problems there as well?

Yes.

3) Do you have any custom model plugins in use?

No.

4) Could you try running the TestStand Version Selector again and set 2013 to active? Even if it already says 2013 is active, running the operation again will re-register some files and can sometimes resolve these types of issues.

Done. Still the same issue.

I have also tried renaming the Cfg directory and restarted the sequence editor. The directory was replaced as expected the ini file mentioned above references the correct version now but I still get the same errors when running the simple or full-featured UIs.

I am stumped! I have never had this kind of issue when upgrading.

John O'C
Woodward, Inc.
Skokie, Illinois, USA

Wow...What a Ride!"
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,237 Views)

Hi Daniel and Doug,

Can you explain this?

I rebuilt the UIs in CVI 2013 and now the UIs work. I was working in CVI 2012 SP1 when all of this started. After I sent my reply earlier. I installed CVI 2013 on this machine, I had CVI 2012 SP1 on both of my development machines. I upgraded the machine I am working on to CVI 2013 and as I said I rebuilt the UIs and now they work fine. I wouldn't think that Teststand would care as long as I had the proper RTEs on the machine.

John O'C
Woodward, Inc.
Skokie, Illinois, USA

Wow...What a Ride!"
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,231 Views)

I too am experiencing that memory issue.  We are currently using TestStand 2013 and CVI 2012.  I understand that the compiler changed significantly between CVI 2012 and 2013.  We have a lot of code that doesn't currently compile with 2013 so we stuck with 2012 for now.  Now, I'm having an issue with the TestStand 2013 UI where it's hanging up when I run a particular sequence file which runs a CVI UIR.  To try to solve that issue, I attempted to recompile the TestStand UI with CVI 2012.  When I did that, the UI no longer runs, it throws that memory error.  I'm assuming it was originally built with CVI 2013.  Anyway, I was hoping there was some sort of a workaround to implement before making the transition to the latest TestStand/CVI products.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,902 Views)
Solution
Accepted by johnoc

Hi rreis,

What .NET version are you running?

Many times this error is associated with a incompatibility between applications built in LabWindows/CVI 2012 and previous and the .NET 4.5 framework. The link below discusses a registry key that was developed as a work around to this problem.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0136A53F98D69B7286257AD70069A735

Regards

Carli S.
Troubleshooting & Maintenance Digital Business Manager - NI
Message 7 of 9
(4,795 Views)

Yes, I'm running .NET 4.5.1 and this fixed the issue.  I can now rebuild the TestStand user interfaces with CVI 2012.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,766 Views)

Sorry for reactivating such an old thread, but I have the exact same issue and the solution link is dead.

CVI user interface no longer working after upgrade from TS2010SP1 to TS2013.

Complete new OS installation with Windows 10 and .NET >= 4.5.1

The link marked as solution (http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0136A53F98D69B7286257AD70069A735) does not work anymore! Where can I find the solution?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,381 Views)