From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand won't load vi in runtime

I'm runing LabVIEW 2011 version 11.0f2.  TestStand 2010 SP1.

We tried deploying a packed library to a test system but the run-time will not load the VI.  Depending on the VI selected, we get a variety of different errors with the ! in teststand saying it can't load the module.  The beginning always says that the module can't be loaded with the Runtime Engine version 11.0.  Then usually stuff about the file can't be found and other crazy stuff.  Hard to capture them all because I don't see a way to copy and paste the info because you have to hover over the ! to get the error info.  Sure would be nice to get at that info so it could be copied to the clipboard!!!

I've been replicating the issue on my development PC with the adapter set to runtime engine instead of develoment system.  It will load fine in development.  It will load find in runtime if I browse to the file directly (IE. not in the packed library).  But once I build the packed library, we get the error.

I should mention we are using Classes inside our packed libraries.  We've been doing this for quite some time without issue.  I can point to any number of other packed libraries we've build with the runtime without issue. 

I then decided to try to replicate with a new library.  It is a shell of a library and class.  I've attached it here.  I get the same behavior.  will load if development and if direct to VI in runtime but not in the packed library VI.  

I was just fiddling with TestStand and found that if I select Advanced Settings and check Always Run VI in LabVIEW Run-Time Engine, it will load.  But if I uncheck that, it will not.   WTF?  

Can anyone see if I have something hosed or doing something wrong.  If we're set to use runtime adapter, we shouldn't have to set the step to use the runtime???  And since we've done this many times before without issue, I have no idea what the problem is.  I haven't changed anything lately and can build older packed libraries we've had setup and have them work.  But for some reason this new very empty and basic one won't...  at a loss.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(6,109 Views)

I have to take back the comment on it working if you check the Use Runtime in advanced settings.  THe VI will load but the moment you select a different step then come back, it will be back to not loaded with the !.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(6,107 Views)

Hi Sir_Mutt,

I would suggest that you Mass Compile your LabVIEW VIs to make sure that they are all the same version and therefore use the same Run-Time Engine. Then, verify that the LabVIEW adapter has been selected for the proper version of the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine and rebuild the program. I have included the instructions on how to Mass compile below. I hope this helps!

Mass Compiling: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvhowto/mass_compiling_vis/

Regards,

Jason D

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(6,084 Views)

Hi Jason,

What I attached is a shell of a project, class, and build of a packed library.  I only have 2011.  Don't see how anything could've gone bad there since I started a brand new project in 2011 and did the build.

I'm going to attempt to re-install labview.  seems like i'm corrupt somehow unless you guys have some other clues.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(6,067 Views)

Hi Sir_Mutt

The Mass Compile would allow you to verify the linking to a proper environment. If you want to continue to troubleshoot the system, I would recommend following the steps outlined above. If there are any errors that continue, feel free to post to this forum!

Regards,

Jason D

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(6,040 Views)

I did the mass compile.  same issue.  Although since I started from a brand new project from the 2011 environment with almost nothing in it, I don't see how that would've done much anyway.  But all efforts worth a shot.   The zip file I attached here was made with the following steps.  When I get to the end of this procedure, I get the red exclamation point...  This should not happen...  I have since uninstalled all NI software (even hunted down all residual components I could find that aren't automatically uninstalled or deleted) and still get the same problem.  I tried going to 2011 SP1, same problem.

Close labview and teststand
open labview
create new project
right click and create new library (leave all names as whatever labview defaults to)
right click library and create new class
Open class control and add a string (don't change name)
close class control - Save to a temporary folder somewhere
Save all - put all files into the same temporary folder with default names of labview
right click class and create new VI
put the class as an input and an output in that VI
wire the class input to the class output
save the VI into the same temporary folder as "Test.vi"
create new packed library build
change location to the same temporary folder, leave all other names the same
source file to the library you just created
enable debugging
Build the packed library
save all and exit labview completely

Start teststand
Configure - Adapters
with labview selected - press configure button

Select radio button for LabVIEW Run-time engine
OK
DONE

Add labview action step
select the VI by browsing to the temporary folder and selecting the packed library then the Test.vi inside that packed library
Select use an absolute path

Does the VI prototype load? or does it have flashing red exclamation point???

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(6,019 Views)

Forgot to wire the class input and output to the connector pane, which is critical to make the error show up.  without that, no error.

ON FRONT PANEL, WIRE INPUT TO TOP LEFT CONNECTOR IN CONNECTOR PANE, WIRE OUTPUT TO TOP RIGHT CONNECTOR ON CONNECTOR PANE

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(6,012 Views)

Hi Sir_Mutt,

Since you opened a Service Request, we can work on the issue through phone and email to resolve the issue and then post the answer here for others to see. This should help speed up the troubleshooting process, and I hope is a good method for you.

Regards,

Jason D

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(5,990 Views)

Was there ever any resolution to this?

I think I'm running into a similar issue.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(5,415 Views)

We moved to LabVIEW 2012 and TestStand 2012 (both SP1).  I believe that was the fix.  We recently had a similar issue where the packed library would show up broken after we re-built it.  NI found that if we un-check then check the options in the Advanced settings for the packed library build (or check then un-check), it would then build OK and not be broken in TestStand.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(5,410 Views)