NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand why?

Hi everybody, I started few months ago ATE engineer job and I also C# and embedded programmer.

I still didn't understand why I need TestStand and what the advantages it gives me.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,112 Views)

Hello my name is Gil Ramon from Israel and I'm RT embedded Engineer but in my company I started to work as ATE because the former left.

I know that it is little strange question but I really don't understand what the benefits that TestStand is giving me when I develop new ATE GUI with C#?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,125 Views)

It takes away the test sequencer and reporting burden from the programmer. Your code modules or tests are modular and decoupled completely from the framework. Moreover, it is scalable and flexible in customizing the framework to address your standardization needs.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,107 Views)

Please avoid duplicate posts - https://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-TestStand/Why-TestStand/td-p/4231033

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,102 Views)

@santo_13 wrote:

Please avoid duplicate posts - https://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-TestStand/Why-TestStand/td-p/4231033

I merged the threads.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,095 Views)

Hi,

Some TestStand users start the way you are thinking.

They build a UI which will support some type of scripting ( read from .csv) or something similar.

When the project grows they keep adding new features like DB,Report,process related cusomisations,Support for different instruments whose drivers are in different language,etc.

There is also a considerable amount spent in maintaining this framework.

He spends time building it ,testing it,maintaining it. ( costs )

If the person who built it leaves then its a big challenge to others to take over. 

So person who is supposed to build ATE,build test sequence or its module softwares ends up devoting his time to developing a framework which is already available in market.

In short if your development is a one of thing then you can develop in C# but if you see a scope for development/maintaince in long term maybe you need to consider TestStand.

Ravi

If you have a one of development maybe you can develop uisng C#

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,032 Views)