NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand not calling a Labview DLL copied to a new location.

Solved!
Go to solution

TestStand v4.2 & LabVIEW v8.6.1: I have a problem with TestStand calling a Labview project DLL. It will call the DLL successfully if pointed to it's source folder (The directory where the DLL was built. However if the DLL is copied to the customers working directory and the calling TestStand step is pointing to the copied DLL, the issue occurs. The TestStand calls the DLL from the customer working directory, but does not run the DLL, merely setting the step status to 'Done' where it clearly hasn't.

The vi called in the DLL does have all Error clusters handles correctly, such that if there was an error within the vi at run time, the error would be passed back to TestStand.

Any ideas please?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,807 Views)

It's possible that the DLL isn't happy in the new location. You could try calling it directly from LabVIEW in the new location and see if the same behavior happens.

CTA, CLA, MTFBWY
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,793 Views)

Thanks for thew suggestion 'snowpunter', I hadn't tried that.

Now I have copied the required LabVIEW vi from the DLL to the desired location and have to report that it does work as intended.

I think this shows that the contents of the vi are not location dependant in any way.

I must add that the DLL still is not working from the desired location, but that it does use components of the LabVIEW Report Generation Toolkit, specifically to generate a formatted Excel spreadsheet of a set oftest results.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,789 Views)

Is the customers working directory in the TestStand Search Directories?

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,785 Views)

Hi Ray, thanks for replying.

Yes, the search directory is fine, there are many other DLL's built in the same directory and copied to the customer directory that work just fine.

I have a concern that the DLL at issue is the only one that uses the LabVIEW Report Generation Toolkit.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,782 Views)

There have been problems posted in the past regarding  LabVIEW Report Generation Toolkit used with TestStand.

Do a search using " LabVIEW Report Generation Toolkit" in this board and see if anyone has had similar problems.

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,779 Views)

Thanks for your suggestion again Ray. I have already trawled the forums as suggested and attempted to implement the 'fixes' all to no avail though.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,762 Views)

Update: I have now copied all the LabVIEW Build files into the destination (Bin) folder along with the DLL file (500 + Files!). Now the DLL does get called, but returns an error 7:

'Get LV Class Default Value.vi<APPEND> from the Report Generation Toolkit file 'New Report.vi'.

I've checked the issue reported here <http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8A0E6274D9BD7B1986256F62006AD402>, but as I'm using LabVIEW 8.6, I have already included the necessary files 'NIReport.lib & LVClass' in the 'Always Included field.

This all sounds like it's related to the NI_Excel.lvclass directory path, but not sure how to resolve. Any ideas please?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,733 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TimAldworth

Update: The original issue was never solved, but an alternative method was used successfully to generate an Excel Result Sheet. This used Active-X controls to open a file, import a Template, write the data, close the file, then make the new file read only. This all now works fine.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,710 Views)
Are you writing test data to Excel? The built in xml report in TestStand can be imported to Excel.
CTA, CLA, MTFBWY
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,705 Views)