NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand lockup

Quite often when using the editor I select a VI step in a sequence and the "VI Context Help and Description" pane says "Loading VI Information". I get an hour glass and it never comes back, "never" being extrapolated from 15+ minutes. LabVIEW was started by TS. Sometimes if I use task manager to kill LV, TS will restart it and then fill in the VCHD pane. I spent many hours yesterday uninstalling all NI software then re-installing the Developer's suite using 4Q disks for 4.2.1.83 and SP1 and still have this problem. Does anyone else see this problem? I also have lockups when building deployments.  

Any suggestions? I am so frustrated that I am about to the point of saying forget this $10K experiment  and go back to what works.

Thanks for letting me vent.

jvh 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,308 Views)

Hi,

You didn't say what LabVIEW version you are using?

If you have a virus scanner running during installation try switching it off during installation, sometimes this does affect the installing process.

regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,303 Views)

Thanks for posting. 

Sorry, LabVIEW is 9.0.1 SP1.

Seems like I saw a blurp during install that installer would prompt to shut down scanner if necessary.

Are you saying that virus scanners corrupt the installation or just make it slower?

jvh 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,294 Views)

It's a bit hit or miss and not all virus software affect software installations in the same way but if you are having problems or your installation fails or the installed package appears not to run properly, then try switching it off before you start.

regards

Ray

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,289 Views)

John -

In regards to seeing the "Loading VI Information" message in the LabVIEW Module Pane, in the cases that you've experienced LabVIEW to not respond and never come back, is it always with the same VI or multiple similar VIs? If you create a simple test VI with 4 inputs and 4 outputs, do you still see this same behavior? If not, what is the common factor among the VIs that you do experience this problem with?

Could you provide the specs of your computer? Laptop/Desktop? Manufacturer, specs, etc?

Manooch H.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,286 Views)

Thanks for posting.

It seems to happen with any VI.

Dell D830 laptop: Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500@2.2GHz, 2GB ram, 4GB swap space, 80GB HD w/ 22GB free.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,283 Views)

John -

Could you provide a Measurement and Automation Explorer Troubleshooting Report so that we may see exactly what software is installed on the machine?

Also, is it possible for you to provide us an example sequence file, VI, and steps to follow in order to attempt to reproduce this behavior on our end?

Manooch H.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,262 Views)