From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand Workspace, Project and relative path

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

My coworkers and I are using a lot of little projects in TestStand that have the following folder architecture:

...\Package\

Reports\

TestStandReport1.html

TestStandReport2.html

SubSequence\

SubSeq1.seq

SubSeq2.seq

Main.seq

Configuratio_Files\

ConfFile1.ini

ConfFile2.ini

We move those package a lot on different bench that are not linked to the network and we also move them a lot within a bench (archive, working folder, ...).

Several package can have different revision of a same sequence, therefore from TestStand point of view those are different sequences with the same name. So the problem is when several package exist on a same computer, TestStand might take a sequence from a different package without generating any error but the user think the sequence used is the correct one.

So my question is : is there a way, using workspace and or project in our packages, to tell teststand to use the sequence from the package and not from another, WITHOUT having to update constantly the Search Directories ?

Something like defining the path of the sequences relatively to the path of the workspace file.

Thank you !

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,923 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LucD

I don't understand why you would want to use the workspace or project.  Those do not get deployed nor are they called by anything.  Therefore, I don't think using the workspace is the right way.

If I were in your shoes I would do it like this:

...\Package\

Main.seq

Reports\

TestStandReport1.html

TestStandReport2.html

SubSequence\

SubSeq1.seq

SubSeq2.seq

Configuratio_Files\

ConfFile1.ini

ConfFile2.ini

With your mainsequence at the top level of your package you can now use the Current sequence file directory with Subdirs checked.  That way they will only use modules or dependencies from within that package.

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,918 Views)

Thank you very much Jiggawax,

Your solution is very satisfying. I thought using workspace and project was the best way to work with TestStand.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,899 Views)

If you think about the Workspace and Project much like a LabVIEW project or a project/solution in Visual Studio, it is simply a way to organize files and dependencies while developing.  It is also used for easy deployment.  It doesn't exist and has no use in the deployed product. 

Glad you could find a solution that worked.

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,889 Views)