cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand Package Manager

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I would like to know if a Idea I have and would like to build is a bad idea. I would like to build (With loads of help hint hint) a TestStand Package Manager (TSPM) . A tool that organizes and maintains packages within a Teststand environment. 

The Tool should standardize the process of creating and distribution TestStand custom steps and other core element of the awesome framework that we all can share. 

My idea is that it should ship with.

1. Templates (Maybe LabVIEW at first) to include a simple template to create a custom step and automatically create the type pallet like a wizard.

Teststand Bulder

2. A Way of sharing available steps inside the community (Teststand Tools Network).

3. A Way of sharing Teststand Plugins.

4. A Way of Versioning Teststeps.

5. A Way of Sharing Deployment UIs.

6. A Way of doing continuous integration.

We would have a lot of work todo but I would love to know if its a good,bad or even better Done idea. 

Test Engineer @ Valeo Ireland
Message 1 of 3
(2,880 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ValeoGuy

ValeoGuy,

Thanks for your post - to directly address your question, we think this is a great idea! NI is actually already working on package management technology to simplify the installation, removal, and distribution of NI software (including TestStand) as well as customer applications. This is something we expect to release over the next few years, and we’ll definitely take your high-level ideas as feedback towards how this tool should work.

Regards,

Kristen M

Automated Test Product Marketing Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,820 Views)

Hi Kristen,

Thank you for taking the time to respond, can you please tell me is there a closed door session I could attend to see next gen TestStand as I would love to have a chance to pitch my other ideas for a web based TestStand interface .

I hope you do not mind if I leave this open for a day or two I would love to also get other opinions as I would be interested in trying to build up a few ideas around this area as it may help me in my own goal for my team to build a TSPM for Valeo.

Again thank you for the response

Valeo Guy

Test Engineer @ Valeo Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,806 Views)