NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand Execution and Thread Limits?

Is there a limit to the number of executions and threads that TestStand can support?  If not, what is the "practical" limit of Test Sockets for a modern PC running 64-bit Windows?  I understand this is a pretty broad question that is probably based upon the contents of the sequences along with the PC resources (RAM, CPU).  However, I am curious to find out what would be suggested/experienced.

I am looking at implementing "monitoring" ten to hundreds of signals on a system in parallel.  The loop rate for each signal read is specified in a configuration file that can change at runtime.  To implement this in TestStand, a sequence in a new thread would be required for each unique loop rate (signal monitor).  This would possibly create hundreds of threads under an execution.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,150 Views)

As far as I'm aware there are no limits in TestStand, you can launch any number of execution and/or thread.

Rodéric L
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,144 Views)

There will be a limit... probably when you run out of free memory blocks of a sufficient size. This will vary according to what modules are loaded, what has been allocated and freed at what locations, whether large address awareness is enabled, etc. Your best bet is to test how many TestStand threads you can create in your system within an application that is as close as possible to your desired application and then estimate the reliably obtainable maximum number threads as a fraction of that.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,140 Views)