NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand 2013 error 80004005

Solved!
Go to solution

For some reason whenever I try to run the Sequence Editor I get a "System Level Exception" followed by " Creating an instance of the COM component witch CLSID {B2794EF6-C0B6-11d)-939C-0020AF68E893} from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error: 80004005"

I have followed the published fixes including deleteing stationglobals.ini, running "Version Selector" etc to almost  no avail. The exception is that after a PC re-boot it will run but quite slowly; closing the Sequence Editor and re-starting it brings back error 80004005.

I have also tried un-installing and re-installing TestStand as well as complete re-installtion of DS 2014.

Short of re-formatting my hard-drive and starting again I'm not sure what else I can do.

Any suggestions would be most gratefully received.

Keith

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(5,998 Views)

Hi Keith,

Has the computer which is encountering this error previously had TestStand installed on it, or is it a completely fresh install of TestStand? Is there any antivirus or other security precautions on your computer which may be interfering with the TestStand process. 

Did deleting stationglobals and using Version Selector cause any change at all to the issue?

Best Regards,

James Kent

James Kent | Applications Engineer | National Instruments UK & Ireland
w: uk.ni.com | ireland.ni.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(5,966 Views)

Hi James,

Many thanks for your response.

The PC has had TestStand installed for several years and had been working perfectly right up to the last moment - the problem didn't coincide with any update or upgrade.

Yes it does have Symantec anti-virous installed.

Deleting staionglobals.ini didn't affect the symptoms at all and Version Selector always runs without error.

Both the the Simple and Full-Featured User Interfaces work no problem.

The weird thing is that it appears to work after a PC re-boot but if closed and re-run it fails with the usual error message.

Best Regards

Keith

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(5,963 Views)

try renaming the following files before starting the sequence editor after a reboot (renaming to anything effectively deleting them, but keeping a backup):

C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local\National Instruments\TestStand 2013\layout_current.bin

C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local\National Instruments\TestStand 2013\SeqEdit.xml

If that doesn't work, you might try renaming your cfg directory (i.e. C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\TestStand 2013\Cfg) to reset everything back to default settings.

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(5,928 Views)

Hi Doug,

Many thanks for your response.

I've tried your suggestions but unfortunately the symptoms remain the same. There must be a clue in that it runs OK after a reboot but reverts if the program is closed and re-opened - but I just can't figure it out.

Best Regards

Keith

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(5,917 Views)

1) Do you have any idea what might have changed around the time it used to work versus when it stopped working? Any new software installed? Some utility programs like graphics card utilities and virus scanners hook into all processes on a machine with Windows hooks and can sometimes cause unexpected problems. If you have anything like that installed recently, try disabling or uninstalling them and see if the problem goes away.

2) Do you have visual studio installed on your machine? What is likely happening is that an exception (really an access violation most likely) is being thrown inside the constructor of the engine when this problem occurs. If you can run seqedit.exe as the process to debug (with native debugging) with the Debug->Exceptions... dialog set to stop on thrown for "Native Run-Time Checks" and "Win32 Exceptions". And then when the exception occurs, break in the debugger, and do Debug->Save Dump As... to save a dump of the state of the process. Then attach the dump file here and we can take a look to see if it gives us any clues as to what might be the problem.

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(5,901 Views)

If you don't have visual studio you can also generate a dump file using this tool:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/dd996900

Use a commandline similar to the following:

"C:\Procdump\procdump.exe" -g -e 1 -f c0000005 -x c:\dumpdir "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\TestStand 2013\Bin\seqedit.exe"

This commandline will generate a dump file if an access violation occurs. If an access violation is not occuring. It would still be useful to see what exceptions are occurring and this tool will output such exceptions to the console window you run it from so let me know what it says if it's not an access violation (there are likely many expected exceptions though, so not all of the exceptions reported will be related to this problem).

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(5,891 Views)

Hi Doug,

Here's what I got.

Press Ctrl-C to end monitoring without terminating the process.

[16:45:22] Exception: 04242420
[16:45:24] Exception: E06D7363.?AVLVExcept@@
[16:45:24] Exception: E06D7363.msc
[16:45:24] Exception: E06D7363.?AVTEException@@
[16:45:24] Exception: E06D7363.?AVTEException@@
[16:45:25] Exception: C0000005.ACCESS_VIOLATION
[16:45:25] Dump 1 initiated: c:\dumpdir\SeqEdit.exe_140729_164525.dmp
[16:45:25] Dump 1 complete: 10 MB written in 0.2 seconds
[16:45:26] Dump count reached.

C:\Windows\System32>

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards

Keith

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(5,884 Views)

If you could also try the following:

"C:\Procdump\procdump.exe" -g -e 1 -f LVExcept -x c:\dumpdir "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\TestStand 2013\Bin\seqedit.exe"

and send us the dump from that as well, please do (I believe someone from NI has already contacted you on how to send us the dump via private message).

Thanks,

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(5,880 Views)

Hi Doug,

Here's the result from the latest command.

Press Ctrl-C to end monitoring without terminating the process.

[09:07:58] Exception: 04242420
[09:08:00] Exception: E06D7363.?AVLVExcept@@
[09:08:00] Dump 1 initiated: c:\dumpdir\SeqEdit.exe_140730_090800.dmp
[09:08:02] Dump 1 complete: 10 MB written in 1.3 seconds
[09:08:02] Dump count reached.

I haven't seen anything from NI regarding a PM with the dumpfile itself - I note that it is a bit under 10MB. How to I go about sending it?

Best Regards

Keith

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(5,853 Views)