NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TS 2010 Deployment Utility Internal Error -40

I am attempting to build a minimal installer in TS 2010/LV2010 on a Windows 10 workstation.  the Deployment Utility copies the Distributed Files but when I try to create an Installer I see the following:

----------------------------------
Starting a log for the deployment.
Starting Analysis
Processing Workspace...
Workspace Processed
Finished Analysis
Building...
2:35 PM
LabVIEW Version: 10.0.1 (2010 SP1) (32-bit) English
Making an installer, please wait...
Internal error code -40 Making an installer, please wait...
TestStand - Deployment Utility Splash Screen.vi >> TestStand - Distribution Wizard GUI.vi >> TestStand - Build.vi >> TestStand - Create Meta Installer.vi >> TestStand - Add Products to Meta Installer.vi >> Add DotNET Framework 2_0 to Installer.vi >> MDFDistBuildList_AddProduct.vi
{B937AF41-B4B5-44FF-8670-46110C2EFCDE}
The installer is finished
The build is finished
2:36 PM
Aborted

-------------------------

I've read there is a file called "Detailed_Installer.log" which might provide insight but darned if I can find it. 

Upgrading TS to a newer version is not an option for this project...I need to get this working.  Suggestions, anyone?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,126 Views)

I'm sure you are aware that this isn't supported.  You can read more here: https://www.ni.com/content/ni/locales/en-us/support/documentation/compatibility/18/teststand-and-win...

Also, maybe this will help:https://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-TestStand/error-code-40-in-teststand-deployment/td-p/837177

My guess is that it's either a caching issue or some path issue with Windows 10. 

Try and create an empty installer with nothing in it but a single text file.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,068 Views)

Yes, I know that my configuration isn't officially supported.  I would have preferred that the TS deploy tool had returned a simple "Not supported" error message instead of the ambiguous and mysterious "Internal Error -40".

As things turn out, I was able to build a deployment with an installer.  the issue was cross-linked VIs in an .llb in the LabVIEW vi.lib folder.  I can't explain how or why these were cross-linked then saved to disk.  Once I discovered the issue, fixing it was just as much fun.  Mass compiling the source code didn't help, neither did trying to resolve the VI conflict through the LabVIEW Project Explorer.  Finally, I opened the cross linked VI the .llb so I was sure the correct copy was in memory then opened and saved each of my code modules to be sure they would link to the correct vi.  This did the trick.

I think the root cause can be identified as "NI software tools suck".

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,047 Views)

I'm sorry you feel that way about NI software tools.

I've been quite successful with them and know thousands of other people who are quite successful.

I'm glad you figured out the issue and got it working.  Sorry it was so frustrating for you.  Those issues are not fun.  I remember when I was learning TestStand early on in my career and I made a deployment on my local machine.  Because the VIs from my deployment were in my search directories the next time I went to do a build it cross linked a bunch of native VIs and it was not a good situation.  Needless to say I think I had to end up re-installing LabVIEW to get a clean vi.lib.  I learned a valuable lesson that day (er... week I should say).  Search directories are very important!!!  Not saying that was your issue but it can come out to bite you.  Because TestStand is a scripting language it relies heavily on search directories.

Anyhow, don't let it get you down and don't hesitate to post any other questions to the forums if you get frustrated.

Also, just as a tip... I've found that creating packed project libraries in LabVIEW and then calling those directly from TestStand (essentially developing against  PPLs and NOT raw VIs) seems to make deployment soooo much easier.

Cheers,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 4 of 4
(1,037 Views)