From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Configuration VIs give error in Teststand

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello Community,

Using Teststand 2014 32bit

Using Labview 2015 SP1 32bit

I am trying to distinguish between multiple virtualbenches on different test stations. I made a VI that will select the present virtualbench connected to the computer (see attachment). The VI works great and I am able to give the present virtualbench a command, in my case a voltage from the power supply. However, I run into an error when trying to use my VI in Teststand (see attachment).  

I inserted an action step in Teststand and called my VI. After receiving the error, I debugged my issue to the 3 system configuration VIs (Initialize Session, Find Hardware, and Close). Also, my code works fine when I use the Labview Adapter Configuration in Development System, but not in Run-Time Engine. However, the teststations only have Labview Run-Time Engine. How can I go about getting my VI to work in Teststand while having the Labview adapter set to Run-Time Engine?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,557 Views)

How are you deploying these VI's to the test stations? Are you using TestStand Deployment utility, or just copying them over? TSDU can usually detect the kind of errors that will cause this.

Also, since all three of those VI's are nisyscfg, I would also make sure that you have the same version installed on the test stations. It installs automatically with several NI installers, or you can download it from Drivers and Updates.

Hope this helps!

Trent

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,522 Views)

Currently I am not deploying these VI's. I am using a test station that has NI Developer Suite to create the VI's. After it works on this test station, I will deploy to the other test stations. I am running into that error on the developer end in Teststand. Also, all the test stations have the same versions of drivers and updates.

I am flagged with the error right after I load the file in the Teststand action step. The VI works fine on its own in labview, but not in Teststand while using the Labview Run-Time Engine adapter configuration. What am I missing about these system configuration VIs?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,486 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MechUnit

When the LabVIEW development environment runs a VI, it can recompile any subVIs if they have problems (dependency in a different location, different version, etc..) When you use the Runtime Adapter, the RTE cannot recompile a VI... So unless all of these VI's dependencies are the same version, and in the same location that they are on your development machine - it will be a problem.

One easy fix would be to build them into a packed project library before you copy them to your test stations. This way they would already be compiled in a library with all of their dependencies.

This KB offers a similar explination

KB 4YIJ4CPE:  Why Shouldn't I Copy LabVIEW Code Module VIs to My TestStand Deployment System?

Hope this helps!

Trent

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver
Message 4 of 5
(3,475 Views)

I could not figure out the dependencies that my VI was missing, but putting the VI into a packed project library before using the VI file in Teststand solved my issue. Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,453 Views)