NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping CVI Action on Failure

I was hoping you could lend a hand. I'm trying to run a group of tests, lets say 50 related tests in a subsequence, each using a CVI adapter. Each of these tests requires a DLL function for when I "specify module." Rather then have 50 DLL functions, which could be very tedious, we thought we may use a CVI action (1 DLL function) which stores the results of each measurement in an array and do 50 single numeric limit tests. This presents a problem because if test 1 fails, the other 49 tests will run before we ever know that test 1 fails - this could take a lot of time, or damage the unit under test.

So, what I'm trying to figure out… Is there a way for us to have a bunch of tests in a single DLL function that will allow us to recognize and handle a failure immediately? Maybe trigger the TestStand compare and data sheet write from CVI instead of returning all the results to TestStand?

Thanks for any hints.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,529 Views)

Although creating 50 steps is going to be more tedious, it will be a much more flexible solution, especially with what you are trying to accomplish.  The only way to make a single DLL entry point AND check limits as you go along is to check limits within your code module.  I would not recommend this solution, as it is much less flexible than using TestStand to do these functions.

It is always best to keep your tests as simple as possible, and leave the limit testing, etc.. to TestStand for maximum flexibility and reusability.  If any of your function calls are very similar, you may want to use fewer DLL entry points, and pass parameters.

If you must use a single function and need TestStand data, you could pass the Sequence Context into your DLL, and access the test limits, and use the TestStand API as you test.  I would not recommend this solution, but it would allow you to know ahead of time which tests will fail.

Allen P.

NI

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,520 Views)