From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps running time increasing on time line

Hello, 

Steps running time increasing  appears when 'On fly report' checked in TestStand. Without it no performance loss have been found. Time of some step execution has direct dependency from generated 'On fly' report file size. Report growing causes step execution time increasing. The reason for that could be that each time TestStand engine add new report record, it overwrite hole report xml file. And each report file manipulations (especially large ones) have effect on system performance. 

I wrote a small script when run empty statement in endless loop. 'On fly report' checked. First it takes 0.0 sec. to run that statement. When report size reach 10 Mb the same statement took ~1.0 sec. Moreover high virtual memory and CPU usage can be observed at that time.

Thanks

Eyal.I
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,096 Views)

Hi,

have you enabled the Conserve Memory option when using On the Fly Reporting?

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,095 Views)

Hi,

it is grayed out 😞

see in the attached file

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,085 Views)

Hi,

The manual says you can only On-the-fly reporting in HTML and ASCII

You can use on-the-fly reporting only for HTML and ASCII

reports

So bit surprised you have XML setting. Trying setting to HTML and see if that helps.

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,081 Views)

Eyal.I,

Ray brings up a good point.  Did his suggestion help to resolve this issue for you by enabling the checkbox?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,001 Views)

Hi Matt,

Yes it works fine, unfortunately I need the xml format and not the HTML.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,994 Views)