NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specify module and reload prototypes automatically

Hello,
I have a lot of LV8.0 VIs used in Teststand 3.5 as teststeps.
Now i resaved the vis for "previous version 7.1" and the sequence in Testand 3.1.

The problem is now that i have to open _ALL_ teststeps in teststand
manually with "specify module" that everything works.
When don´t do it and "run selected test" in Teststand 3.1 i get the message:

"The prototype of VI "...\file.vi" changed.
The prototype need to be updated before executing the VI.
To update the prototype, open Specify Module Dialog"
Errorcode -17600; Failed to load a required step´s accociated module"

Is there a way to do this automatically for all VIs?
This need hours if i have to do it for all VIs.

Thank for very much for your help
Message 1 of 12
(6,398 Views)
One more thing:
If i open the "Sequence File Types" where i defined my teststeps and mark "[X] Apply changes in this Dialog to all Loaded Steps of this Type" and do the "Specify module", then this does NOT WORK for all loaded steps. I still have to di a specify module for EACH step of this type.

Whats going wrong here?
Message 2 of 12
(6,395 Views)
Are you using a custom step type with a "Default Module" or "Specify Module" set?

If you always plan to call the same code module, I would recommend using a Post-Step rather than a Default Module.  This will allow you to make changes in one portion of the code (the Step Type), and have it affect every instance of the step type.

I'll see if I can dig up a tool that will allow you to either change all of the modules to use the None Adapter (which would help you convert the step type to use the post-step instead), or a tool to automatically reload the prototypes of every sequence.

Allen P.
NI
Message 3 of 12
(6,324 Views)
Was a tool ever located to automatically update the prototypes or switch them all to "none".  We currently have a large number of sequences that we wish to switch to using post steps so that we may update the prototype when necessary.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(6,102 Views)
Here is the tool-
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/5266

Allen P.
NI
Message 5 of 12
(6,094 Views)

Is this the only approach for this situation?  I currently am working with dozens of sequences that virtually every step has a unique VI as it's code module.  Is there a method for the step class that will allow me to programmatically reload the modules of steps when the code modules change?

It would be a considerable effort to convert each step to a custom step type and use the post-step action.

thanks,

Quintin

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(5,729 Views)
If you are not using custom step types, then the advice above does not apply.  The Module class has a method called LoadPrototype.  You can get a Module obejct from the Step class (Step.Module).  You should make sure the module is a LabVIEW module (using the Module.Adapter) property if you only want to reload VIs.

Allen P.
NI
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,726 Views)

Thanks Allen,

Right as you replied I was reading one of your other posts (http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=330&view=by_date_ascending&message.id=9864#M9864) that details the process of obtaining the LabVIEWModule object.  That should get me where I need to be.

Thanks again,

Quintin

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,723 Views)
Hi Quintin,

Were you able to your sequences up and running?

You might also want to check out the following example article which cycles through every step, reloading the prototype of each step.
Developer Zone Example: Reload Module Prototypes Programatically with a TestStand Sequence
Jervin Justin
NI TestStand Product Manager
Message 9 of 12
(5,640 Views)

Yup sure was,

In my application I don't want to auto reload the prototypes, I just want some indication if steps in a sequence need reloaded so I used the IsPrototypeIncompatible property to determine this.

thanks,

Quintin

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(5,622 Views)