NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple LabVIEW Front End- Launch Editor in Execution context

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm relatively new to programming a test stand user interface, so this might just be me not knowing the right terms to search for. Thanks in advance.

I have a really simple technician interface written in LabVIEW for selecting sequences and running. I'm a little stuck on what to do if the test halts and an engineer wants to debug. I have the ability of an admin to approach the station and login if the station halts on an error. I'm wondering if there is a way to (programmatically within LabVIEW) launch the Test Stand Editor into a execution and see the executions state while halted. I'm really not wanting to reinvent the wheel and program a ton of editor functions into my UI, so I'm hoping I can just use the full capability of the existing TS editor.

Josh
Software is never really finished, it's just an acceptable level of broken
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(1,420 Views)

You can't really move the execution from one application to another like that.  Basically you can hide a tab or expand the window to show certain controls/indicators that are always there but only shown when someone logs in with certain credentials (this would be the simplest).

Debugging is quite simple to add to a TestStand UI.  Basically you just connect buttons to the manager controls and set them to step into, step out, continue, etc...

The full-featured UI shows how to connect the debug buttons so they can be used.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 2 of 8
(1,389 Views)

Thanks! I'll take a look at the fully featured example (and probably copy a lot). The application i have will be able to launch multiple executions. Would it be possible to have a single "debug window" within the application that gets pointed to a execution and launched (or made visible) when needed? Would this sort of approach save on having any overhead of an execution viewer attached to a process until it's needed?

Josh
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(1,384 Views)

What are you doing with the debug window?  Is it debugging TestStand (i.e. step through steps, look at variables, etc...) or do you want an actual GUI that you can interact with instruments and the UUT?

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
Message 4 of 8
(1,355 Views)

@~jiggawax~ wrote:

What are you doing with the debug window?  Is it debugging TestStand (i.e. step through steps, look at variables, etc...) or do you want an actual GUI that you can interact with instruments and the UUT?

Debugging test stand (and yes, all of those). Basically a pause on fail, look at the state, and possibly run/rerun steps.

Josh
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(1,353 Views)

you can just use your execution view for the debug window.  That's how all of the UIs do it.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
Message 6 of 8
(1,343 Views)
Solution
Accepted by JW-JnJ

You could have the debug controls reattach to each execution view manager depending on which window the user is selected on.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
Message 7 of 8
(1,341 Views)

Works for me. I think that gave me an idea of what to do. Thanks for the help.

Josh
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(1,337 Views)