From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sequence context becomes invalid when execution time is longer

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a sequence that loops for around 70k iterations (which is pretty huge). The sequence calls a sub-sequence where the called sequence's locals are modified. Issue is, around 65k th iteration, I am getting an error stating that Local's reference passed is invalid. The iteration count when error occurs  varies from PC to PC but always in the 65k range. When I try to run another sequence(simple one) consecutively, I get an "out-of memory" error. I guess the reason why Local's reference getting invalid is because the TS execution stops when TS memory gets full making Sequence Context and thus Local's reference invalid.

I would like to know how to reduce the TS memory consumption since I have disabled the result recording for all sequences(Configure->Station Options->Execution), disabled result recording for each iteration in the loop, Optimize non-reentrant Calls to thi sequence is also enabled. I even tested with just this sequence running and I am wondering if there is a maximum count for execution threads when looping.

PC Configuration

RAM-12 GB

LabVIEW and Teststand 2010 SP1

I will not be able to post the code but the looping is a custom step that has Sequence Call as its adapter.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,794 Views)

Hi Ranjani,

Are you calling the sub sequence in the context of the main sequence or a new thread or a new execution.

New threads\execution can lead to many simultaneous instances running leading to shortage of memory.

Ravi

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,760 Views)

The subsequence is called in context with the main sequence and not as a seperate thread/execution. I did notice that the Sequence context is valid but the execution reference is invalid rendering the Local variable's reference invalid too.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,758 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ranjani_R

Hi,

I tried this :

Main sequence calls a sub sequence which has 3 statement steps.

I looped the sub sequence to 75k with result logging enabled.

TS runs succesfully - no issues.

Try skipping  steps (one at a time) in the sub sequence to find out which step is leading to this issue.

Also try reproducing using a simple sequence (which you can post online).

Ravi

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,755 Views)

Have you checked the memory usage of seqedit.exe when you are getting this error? It sounds like there might be a memory leak in one of your code modules or elsewhere.

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,746 Views)

But I have disabled the result recording in the station and I have also unchecked the result recording for each iteration of th eloop. This must disable the result collection. Is that not so?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,738 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ranjani_R

@Ranjani_R wrote:

But I have disabled the result recording in the station and I have also unchecked the result recording for each iteration of th eloop. This must disable the result collection. Is that not so?

Yeah, sorry, I didn't fully read your post before responding (I updated my post once I realized you already disabled result collection). I'm now thinking it's more likely there is a memory leak in one of your code modules or something else that your sequence is doing. I think trying to narrow it down like Ravi suggested is probably the best approach.

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,736 Views)

I think so too. Weird thing is I am using LabVIEW code module. But when I face this error, I see that LabVIEW has barely used 0.1GB of process memory. And when a sequence is executed immediately after this error, TestStand throws "out-of-memory" error which made me think TestStand is the culprit. But I will re-visit my code and check. Thanks for all the help. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,734 Views)