From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sequence File Globals

Thanks to Ray Farmer for the answer to my last question.

Can multiple stations access a set of Sequence File Globals if the different stations use sequences from the same sequence file (i.e. if the stations are networked and the sequence file is served on a networked machine)?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,260 Views)

Yeah..... Ray is a great asset to these forums.  We really appreciate all his wonderful posts.

In regards to your question you should have no problem accessing Sequence File Globals from a sequence that is in that sequence file.  It is the whole scope of the variables. 

Locals = Sequence they reside in
FileGlobals = Sequence File as well as anything in that sequence file
StationGlobals = Station as well as anything on that station

The only problems I would see is maybe race conditions.  If you changed a FileGlobal in one sequence and tried changing the same variable from a different machine. 

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,240 Views)
Another issue to mention is that the Station Globals file is not persisted to disk until the Engine shuts down or you manually request the file be saved.  This may cause problems when passing information between machines (if both have an engine open at the same time).  You can also use TestStand Synchronization steps to pass information between different machines if you need to share information.

Allen P.
NI
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,219 Views)

I believe A File Global is different from a sequence local, and a Station Global.

I would like to know how to create a File Global.

There is no tab call File Globals, and no menu called File Globals.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,073 Views)
It's in the VIEW drop down ring for that sequence file.  The same place you find All Sequences.

Regards,
jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 5 of 5
(3,068 Views)