From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate sequence or sub sequence for Multi users

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, We have multiple users that are working on a project in TestStand. Each eng should implement a different routine and finally we should be able to import each sequence to make the whole list of sequences. I would like to know what is the best approach. each eng work on different sequences and then we import the sequences or better to have 1 main sequence and each engineer use a subsequence . Could you please help me with this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,997 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tintin_99

This is a great philosophical question.  So basically, how do you manage multiple developers working on the same TestStand code?

If it were me, I would do them in separate sequence files.  That way you are decoupled and you won't tromp on each other's variables.  Then just have the main sequence file call into the other seuqence files.  Also, this enforces true modularity which allows each routine to be called from anywhere.  The downside of this is that you now need to deploy all of those sequence files.  It's not too bad with the deployment utility though.

However, there is a Diff/Merge tool that ships with TestStand.  If you haven't looked into that it might be an option.  Basically you give each developer a copy of the main sequence file.  They go implement their routine and then you use the Diff/Merge tool to merge them back into the main sequence file.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052M-01/TOC43.htm

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 2 of 2
(3,970 Views)