From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running sequence starts second testing-sequence

Hello,

in Teststand 4.2 i have in the the SequenceFileLoad of the model a SequenceCall to a sequence starting with "Use New Execution".

This sequence is running/looping all the time and checking some hardware-inputs.

If there is then a special input then i am starting the testing-sequence which makes measurements to the DUT by executing a SequenceCall.

Currently i start this test-sequence also as "Use New Execution" but it seems as this needs much memory when starting to often.

So my question is:

1. Is there an option to close the previous new executions

OR (better ?)

2. Is it also ok if i set in the SequenceCall of this testing-sequence the Execution Options to "None" instead of "Use New Execution"?

Thanks for help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,324 Views)

Rather than spawning a new execution in the SequenceFileLoad callback why not loop in your PreUUT (or similar) callback looking for the external input? This would greatly simplify your execution and would follow the intended design pattern of TestStand.

CTA, CLA, MTFBWY
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,314 Views)

Yes i know what you mean. But i have more than one sequence that is executed. If i would use the preuut then i have to copy this in all of my sequences.

Currently:

Model.SeqFileLoad --> NewExecution[looping-sequence] --> NewExecution[testing-sequence]

The looping-sequence receives digital and serial signals and executes then different a testing-sequence.

My question is only if i can execute the "testing-sequence" also with Execution Options = "None" instead of "Use New Execution"?

Thx

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,303 Views)

I understand that you keep your initial sequence running all the time. When a condition is met, this sequence launches another sequence ("test-sequence") as a new execution.

Do you want several instances of "test-sequence" to run in parallel with each other or is it just one instance at a time?

Have you considered using the Wait step to wait for an execution before launching a new one?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,293 Views)

The "always-running"-sequence is waiting with a notification that the test-sequence is finished.

And i always have only one test-sequence running at a time. Never parallel.

Does this mean that i can start the test-sequence without the option "new execution"?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,286 Views)

Yes, I suppose so as you do not run any squences in parallel.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,282 Views)

The problem is when i switch from "New Execution" to "None" that it does not execute my model-TestUUT in this mode.

I need to execute the model-steps for example for the report-generation.

So perhaps an other ways: How can i close the already opened executions? (When running the default OPUI in C:\Program Files\National Instruments\TestStand 4.2.1\UserInterfaces\Full-Featured\LabVIEW\TestExec.exe then each execution gets his own state-icon on the left side. When pressing the icon i can see the last results.

So it would be good to close the old executions to free up memory.

How can this be done?

Thx

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,259 Views)

Here is a screenshot of what i mean:

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,256 Views)

Hm, sorry i cant edit my last posts, that why i have to reply again.

I find in the menu of the OPUI it is possible to close the executions which means there must be a command for this.

How can i execute the marked parts directly in TS?

For example before a new start i can call this command and close the last execution.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,252 Views)

You do not have to close each execution manually, as is closes when the respective sequence is over.

The execution status LED changes color based on whether the sequence is running, suspended, or finished. A gray execution status LED with green checkmark means that the UUT passed the execution. The execution is not running any more.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,217 Views)