NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running a teststand seqwunce from labview

HI all

I want to build a user interface in Labview to execute number of sequences in teststand.

I already had a look at the examples shipped with TS. But in my case my UI will  be different that the default UI of teststand.

I want user to select number of sequences(at one time from list box or tree) and then when clicked on execute button , one by one each sequence should get executed.

For this I need provide seq file path to the invoke/property node before execution. But I am not able to find the current method/property for the same.

Can someone please help on this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,927 Views)

Modifying the existing UI maybe an option but it will involve code changes.

You can do this from your test sequence only using the existing UI or Sequence editor.

Pre requisite :

Create a VI which lists out all the test sequences (in tree view or list) that user can select.This VI will return the selected test sequence.

Main sequence ()

Call the above VI ---- This will return a list of test sequences with their path 

For each sequence in the list  ---------- For each step type

Run the sequence ( you  can use sequence call step type with file path defined by expression)

End of for loop

Hope this helps.

Ravi

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,905 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

If I have understood correctly , the solution which you have provided involves the teststand again while user wants to execute sequences.

I want LV to do this part. No exposure of sequence i want to give to the user.

I already have that VI with me from where user can select no of seqs he wants to execute and VI gives outputs as names/path of those sequences.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,884 Views)

You can use a sequence editor or a Labview UI.

1) Create a master UI which will invoke the labview UI with your test sequence.

(look for options to automatically open your test sequence and start running  -- also refer quit in the end)

refer http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052K-01/tsfundamentals/infotopics/startup_opt/

2)Your test sequence will have a action step type which will popup the vi for test sequence selection.Once user selects the test sequences it will be returned to test sequence into a TestStand variable.

3) Your test sequence can run this test sequences in a for loop using the sequence call step.

By this method your end user does not interact with any test sequence opening or closing.Its all done automatically from the Labview master UI.

Additionally if your aim is for user not  to see running of the sequences (proprietary ) then you can make this sequences not viewable (edit --> sequence file properties -->advanced --> password protection option)

Hope this helps.

Ravi

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,880 Views)

Thanks.

Can you provide a very small example of it (LV-TS interface)so that i can get a overview of it?

it will be of great help to me.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,875 Views)

Hi

I will update my question. Till now i have created a VI having list box as a output in which i will have list of all sequences which user wants to execute.

Now I want to map this list box control content to the sequence execution command.

I have refereed user interface wherein they have used TS user controls and these controls are then mapped to the required command. Without using TS user controls how can I map any command with that control.(as per the user interface code).

Also , if i want to do the same operation differently , is there any mehtod/property of Seq file view manager to which i can give seq path as a input and then it will load the seq in TS and execute it?

Thanks in adavnce.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,864 Views)

By this method you can do the following ( no need to change User interface code -- use the default one ) :

1) A (Main GUI.vi) vi when executed calls a predfined master sequence to automatically open and run in TestStand.
2) This predfined master sequence uses a vi to get sequences ( simulating user selected sequences)
3)The sequences selected are stored in a TestStand string array and run one by one.
4)TestStand is automatically closed in the end. ( no user intervention is required)

Setup :

1) Unzip the files and put it to c:\temp\LVUSER1 ( This path is hardcoded in vi and testsequences )
2) Go to TestStand menu --> configure --> station options -> user manager and enable automatically login windows user
3) Create a new user with windows credentials in TestStand using the user manager.( This is to avoid login popup)

4)Enable report in TestStand if you need a report.

Run :

Run the MAIN GUI.vi

Changes if required :

1) I have copied CVI user interface from C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\TestStand 4.2.1\UserInterfaces\Full-Featured ( This is because i tested this in )TS 4.2.1

Feel free to copy any of the user interfaces that you are familiar with from the respective TestStand folder.

2) Correct the paths if required in vi and test sequences.

Hope this example will be helpful to you.

Regards,

Ravi

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,702 Views)