NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run Sequence File Documentation Tool from Command Line

I am trying to collect some metrics for our TestStand sequences. I need to get the total number of steps for a sequence and I have found a way to generate this using the Sequence File Documentation Tool. I was wondering if it is possible to call this from a command line so I can automate the generation of our metrics rather than having to manually generate this for each of our TestStand sequences.

Thanks,

Adam

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,518 Views)

There is no built-in way to do this.  However, it would be possible if you made your own executable that used the TestStand API to execute the Sequence that generates the documentation.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,501 Views)

Hi Adam,

While there's no built in way, it might be possible if you design your documentation sequence to be self contained, and then run teststand using the flags available for the command line. You can get these by selecting testexec.exe -? with any of the user interfaces.

Not sure if this is what you mean by command line, but it might get you what your need.

-Jack

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,488 Views)

I was hoping to use the built in Sequence File Documentation generator (accessible from the Tools menu), but it doesn't appear to be available in the API. Without access to this through the API, I won't be able to create a sequence that uses it, right?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,481 Views)

It wouldn't be in the API because its just a sequence / sequencefile of its own right which is linked into the tools menu.

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,477 Views)

@AdamV wrote:

I was hoping to use the built in Sequence File Documentation generator (accessible from the Tools menu), but it doesn't appear to be available in the API. Without access to this through the API, I won't be able to create a sequence that uses it, right?

It's not part of the API, but you can call the sequence and/or the dll that the sequence uses directly from your own sequence.

Hope this helps,

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,471 Views)

Another thing I should mention is that if you are using TestStand 2010 and want a report with step counts for each Sequence File, there is a way to do this with the Sequence Analyzer.  You can anaylze a directory or workspace, select only the "Step Count" rule, configure it to count for each sequence, and then generate a report from it.  There are still manual steps involved, but you could run this once for all of your files (once you have it configured), and your data is generated.  Once you have it configured, it would be two clicks, assuming you save off an Analysis Project with the correct settnigs.

Message 7 of 10
(4,465 Views)

Thanks. I was able to get the TestStand Sequence Analyzer to do what I wanted.

Message 8 of 10
(4,406 Views)

Yes, I have a need to run and retrieve the report from the Sequence Analyzer from the command prompt (or ActiveX/.net) interface.  I would very much like to know how you did this.

We run a build server, and we would like to analyze our test sequences from jenkins which runs on a command line.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,062 Views)

Hi JoeC,

The method suggested by AllenP still requires manually running the Sequence Analyzer.  It does not sound like they were able to achieve automation of the analysis process, and I am unaware of any method to programmatically run the Sequence Analyzer from the command line, or the Teststand API.  There is a stand-alone analyzer application called AnalyzerApp.exe which installs with Teststand, but the only command line functionality it provides it to specify an analyzer project to open.

Justin D
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support/
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,037 Views)