NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report options with IE 11 retirement

We have a lot of legacy systems and even one currently in process where we use xml reports with expand style sheet.

This has been a standard for us and we'd like to maintain that, however with IE retiring, what are others finding for a compatible report viewer?

In a cursory google search most of what was returned for xml were geared more toward the editing of xml files, not viewing them.

Any  suggestions?

Message 1 of 18
(2,459 Views)

Hi, 

The ReportView UI control that is used in SeqEditor and shipping User Interfaces (UIs) will continue to work even after IE is depreciated. It is based on IE engine MSHTML (Trident) which is not being depreciated and will be maintained by Microsoft. 

To help view XML reports, NI is currently working on a viewer for XML and ATML reports and will soon make a viewer available from ni.com. 

Stay tuned for updates soon. 

Regards, 

Anand Jain

NI

Message 2 of 18
(2,452 Views)

Hi Anand,

thanks for your answer. But for "staying tuned" we have exactly less than one month time!  its over on 15-JUN-2022.
On 2015 Microsoft told us they are stopping IE and we should use Edge instead. 
By the end of 2018, I stopped working on TestStand caused by another job. When running my first TestStand programm three years later this spring, I immediately saw that xml reports were only working with the old IE.

No way for Egde and Chrome support - why  no support 7 years later ?!?!. 

I am creating reports not for the SequenceEditor or the UserInterface. They were done for QA and Processmanagement where no TestStand is present, but always a browser. 

So please provide us a browser solution best before 15.June!  If IT department's will remove IE automatically  
we all have a huge problem, and now with our management!

Best Regards
Juergen

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(2,415 Views)

I can view TestStand created XML reports, just like in IE, but in MS Edge using IE mode.

And this MS page says:

-------------------------------------

How long will Internet Explorer mode be supported as a feature of Microsoft Edge?

IE mode support follows the lifecycle of Windows client, Server, and IoT releases at least through 2029. Additionally, Microsoft will give one year of notice before retiring the IE mode experience when the time comes

-------------------------------------

Edge Internet Explorer (IE) mode | Microsoft

Hopefully NI will have the standalone XML report viewer available before then!

Rodney

Message 4 of 18
(2,399 Views)

Hi, 

I have attached the beta version of the TestStand XML Report Viewer. Please review and provide feedback by end of this week.

The final version will be published early next week from a KB. 

Dependencies - .NET Framework and VC RTE v142. These 2 components are installed by TestStand. 

Regards, 

Anand Jain

NI

Message 5 of 18
(2,315 Views)

Hello Anand,
i have unpacked the zip file and tried to get it running. - FAILED!
Windows defender blocked it!

j_dodek_0-1654675509700.png

Please provide a version where this issue is solved. This is very important because i assume on a lot of other organisations this is blocked as well.
Thanks
Juergen

P.S. Why are you using the old MSXML2 library?

Why not using the  MS-supported ones?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/troubleshoot/msxml/list-of-xml-parser-versions

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(2,303 Views)

Hi Anand,

I have tried this TestStand XML Report Viewer and it works fine. This is more faster than the IE 11 and Microsoft Edge(in IE Mode) in opening some of the bigger reports. But do you know what is the maximum size of the report that can be opened using this ?

Regards,

Madhu

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(2,242 Views)

Hi Madhu, 

I am glad that the viewer worked for you. I think the maximum size is somewhat dependent on how much contiguous memory is currently available on the computer. So on a clean restart of the machine you might be able to open bigger reports. 

Also, this viewer does save the transformed HTML report next to the XML report. So you should be able to open the HTML report in the future if required using any browser. 

Regards, 

Anand Jain

NI

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(2,236 Views)

j_dodek, 

As I called out in my post, this is a beta version. Please use this version for testing only and is not the final version. The final version will be downloadable from ni.com later this week. 

Regarding windows defender, I have attached another version that is signed. Let me know if you are able to use that for testing and if you run into issues. 

Regarding MSXML2, that is the name of the interop created by Visual Studio when I import MSXML6. I am using MSXML 6. 

Regards, 

Anand Jain

NI

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(2,224 Views)

Greetings,

I am using v2 and it works fine.

• Where on ni.com can I find the final downloadable version?
  • I modified the properties of xml files so that they are opened with the TSReportViewer. However, if I double-click on an xml file TSReportViewer doesn't open it, I still have to navigate to the file. Would it be possible to add this feature to the viewer?

Thanks very much!

Message 10 of 18
(2,139 Views)