NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Progressive report generation in teststand

Hi all,

I have a test framework which take 4 hours to execute.

TestStand generates report at the end of the testing ,so if some of my modules fail I get to know only at the end..and becuase of this I would have to run my entire 4 hours testing again.

As my testing takes so long and I get to know the outcome of testing only in the end when the .xml report generates, I need a solution by which I can get to know which test cases passed or which failed in a seperate .xml report for each module.

So it should be like this  - 

If my module has 10 test cases in it, when all 10 test cases are done a .xml report for that module should be generated before going to the next test module.

I tried by enabling On the Fly reporting oprtion in result processing tab...but as testing goes on incrementing it becomes difficult to view report as it contsatly keeps expanding/collapsing report tabs.

One more behaviour I have observed when On the Fly reporting is enabled is that .xml report generated is not at all readable.

Please suggest some solution for this 

Best Regards,

Snehal

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,747 Views)

If the main thing you are concerned about it when it fails then why not have the SequenceFilePostStepFailure callback pop up a dialog to notify you?  You could even have this dialog be asynchronous so the test can continue.  OR you could just have that callback email you the failure information.  The options are endless here.

If you are using TS 2012 or later with the plugin architecture then you can keep your XML report so it only generates at the end but add another text or html report that is generated on the fly.  They are more readable and will render easier as you are executing.

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,742 Views)

Hi Jigg,

Thanks for reply.

@~jiggawax~ wrote:

If the main thing you are concerned about it when it fails then why not have the SequenceFilePostStepFailure callback pop up a dialog to notify you?  You could even have this dialog be asynchronous so the test can continue.  OR you could just have that callback email you the failure information.  The options are endless here.

If you are using TS 2012 or later with the plugin architecture then you can keep your XML report so it only generates at the end but add another text or html report that is generated on the fly.  They are more readable and will render easier as you are executing.

Hope this helps,

I am not that much familiar with TestStand.

Could you please elaborate how that can be done?

The 2nd option you are talking about is something Plugin Architecture which keeps on adding on the fly results. I am using TS2014. How it can be accomplished?

Best regards,

Snehal

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,718 Views)

I just realized that the second option wouldn't work for you because of how you are testing.

Attached is an example of the first option.

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,701 Views)