NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preloading time

I am having project in which i called many VI's multiple times, so TestStand takes atleast 5mins for preloading, 
I found that it takes time because same vi get preloaded from different locations, Is there any way so that VI will get loaded at one location only.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,124 Views)

Just put your code modules VIs into one main folder (I mean, you can have subfolders inside, but the root folder will be the same), and setup it as the very first folder in search directories settings. Then TestStand will automatically search VIs from that folder and subfolders, and if all your main code modules will be located there, they will be loaded first.

But, have you checked these links: Why Does the TestStand Sequence Editor Respond Slowly When I Am Editing a Sequence File?Best Practices for Improving NI TestStand System Performance, etc.; plus discussions on this forum? Many time the root cause can be PC performance, classes, etc...

logos_middle.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,115 Views)

Thanks for reply, 
I have same directory structure. let say i have 3 sub seq in a file, in each sub sequence called two vi one for turn on led another for turn off led. i.e i have 6 vi calls,

In preloading popup it shows vi loading for 6 times. I want that same vi is loaded for one time for different calls.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,097 Views)

Aren't you using some network drives to load your code modules from them? Or everything is located on your local PC?

logos_middle.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,057 Views)

Everything is located on local pc

Best Regards
Sumit Memane
CLAD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,048 Views)

I had this issue as well. NI support was unable to help me. So here are the steps I figured out over time to reduce the Pre-loadings from ~15mins to 30s.

Setting your Directory paths on top will help in finding the VIs correct path after the "No Path" scan of location for all VIs. This reduced my time from ~15 mins to ~8mins.

Then my major workaround was found while messing around with Load Dynamically. To avoid scanning all 1000s of duplicate VIs was to have my Sequence Calls within my MainSequence at Load Dynamically except for 1 Sequence Call that had almost all of the VIs with very few copies of each. For me, that specific sequence is actually a Debug sequence that is rarely executed. Use a pre-expression to never run that sequence (unless it works with a sequence set at Skip) that contains a copy of almost every VIs that you use. That reduced my Preloading from the ~8mins to ~30seconds.

If you want to reduce it more, you will need to have your VIs in that "No Path", which I assume is the same directory as your *.seq file.

Message 6 of 6
(3,033 Views)