From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pause and resume test execution with operator privileges

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

In my application I would allow an user with operator privileges to pause/resume test execution. As GUI I'm customizing the "Simple UI" example provided by NI. It already has the pause/resume functionality but it is enabled only for technician ora dministrators, and I didn't understand if it is possible to extend this functionality to the operators. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Francesca

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,299 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author fgalluzzo

Francesca,

Pause/Resume is a debugging feature. I do recommend you to NOT use that for the use-case you are looking at.

That being said, the most important question is:

- Is pausing only viable at specific situations during test?

An example where this is important:

You want to test a UUT against high voltage isolation. During test, you apply high voltage (e.g. 1kV) to the UUT. But specification of the UUT says that 1kV must not applied for longer than e.g. 10s. If, for any reason, your user pauses execution while 1kV is applied to the UUT, you will for sure damage the UUT or, even worse, damage the whole tester.

My recommendation is to use a custom UI with a "Pause Execution" checkbox or button. In your sequence (or a custom model) you query the state of the "Pause Execution" control at specific steps and, if checked/pressed, idle in that step until the control is unchecked/unpressed.

For an example (using LV) review this.

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,281 Views)

Hello Norbert, thank you very much for your answer.

I shouldn't have situations where pausing can be potentially dangerous, but I got the point and I really appreciate your suggestion.

Thanks a lot

Francesca 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,269 Views)