NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password Property

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there a way to get the password "unscrambled" from TestStand?

Password Property

Syntax

User.Password

Data Type

String

Purpose

Specifies the password for the user.

Remarks

When you set this property, TestStand scrambles the password before storing it internally. When you get this property, TestStand returns the scrambled password to you, to prevent users from programmatically accessing passwords without authorization.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,452 Views)

what is your intention for getting the unscrambled password?  I don't think there is a way to do it.  In fact I hope there's not because that could be really bad.

If you forgot it then just set a new one.

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,400 Views)

This was a customer requirement to verify that the TestStand passwords meet a certain criteria.  The customer  all ready has password requirements for the windows login, and in my opinion, looking at the TestStand passwords is a little overkill. 

Brian
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,395 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author BrianInTheForest

I see the conundrum.  They aren't willing to allow the currently logged in windows user to log in to TS? You can just have TS automatically log in the Windows user.

Another option is if you work in an environment where they have badges then you can make them scan their badge number.  This is somewhat safer.

The last option, and one you will probably have to implement, is create your own dialog in LabVIEW or another language.  Then in that language check the strength of the password.  Then once they finally get a "good" password then you go ahead and set it in TestStand.  You would be creating your own user management dialog system at that point.  There is a create delete example here: <TestStand Public>\Examples\CreateDeleteUsers\CreateDeleteUsers.seq

That might be helpful to get started.

Anyhow, hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,391 Views)

Thanks Jigg.  Appreciate your suggestions. 

Brian
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,386 Views)