NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passing Data From Simple User Interface To TestStand Sequence

Hi everyone,

I know how to tranfer data from TestStand to the Simple User Interface that comes with Test Stand (using UIMessages) but I am unsure how to transfer data from a control on the Simple UI to TestStand for sequence use.  Is there an efficient way to do this?

Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,341 Views)

When you post the UIMessage send the SequenceContext through the Object parameter.  Then you can access and set any variable inside of TestStand.

Demonstrated in my attached image.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 2 of 5
(4,337 Views)

Hi Jigg,

Sorry for hijacking, but this is only working when sending a Ui-message from sequence at first.

... and it will never work when using the Sequence Editor instead, especailly if you like to use it as debugging tool.

I would like to know what kind of data should be shared here.

Maybe there is another solution here.

Regards

Juergen

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,293 Views)

Juergen,

How will the UI know when to send the data to the sequence file without the file requesting it?  It can't just magically inject it.  It doesn't know where in the execution flow you are.  I mean it could figure it out, but what a pain.  It's so much simpler for the sequence file to request the data when it needs it.  Let the event handler work it's magic like it should.  Any other way (and trust me I've seen them all) is a terrible solution in my opinion.

Also, you are less likely to hit race conditions if you use UI Messages.  So you have more control over flow.

Your argument for the sequenc editor is a moot point.  I don't think anybody expects to get the same behavior out of the sequence editor that they do out of a custom UI like this.

My 2 cents,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 4 of 5
(4,289 Views)

Hi Jigg,

i agree. I just what to figure out the moot point.

In my tasks speacially when putting a sequnece into operation i am glad to use the SequenceEditor.

It is just depending on the someones task.

There is a great acticle from Norbert_B at last German VIP Days, dealing with this topic.

http://natinst.de/2015/events/vip/downloads/mittwoch/test-and-measurement/1630_NorbertBrand_NI.pdf

I also noticed the moot point in his session. After the session someone gave me feedback, that is was

a good question. Because he had implemented  a custom steptype, based on UI-Messages.

Late in the project they had to realize that  they can not use the Sequnce Editor as debugger any more.

Spent time an money and pimp up UI as debugger....

Well as mentioned before: depending on the task

Regards

Juergen

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
Message 5 of 5
(4,260 Views)