NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OutputMessage and Output Pane in TS 4.1

Hi Everyone,

Need some help "extracting" what I am posting with the Outputmessage() expression.  This expression will output a message to the Output Pane.  I need to capture the content of Outputmessage() and post it in the TS report or a separate log I can write to.

Screen.jpg

In the quick sample above I have Outputmessage("What is going on?", "Testing Stuff",0), Is there anyway to extract those items out?  I messed around with the ActiveX API calls and saw there is an Outputmessage and Outputmessages function, but I cannot access the message collection (TS keeps a collection of Outputmessage).

I also tried Engine.GetOutputMessages, but get a warning that this is obsolete in TS 4.1 and a warning when trying to dig into the properties:

"Warning: Some output messages have been discarded. This application called the obsolete Engine.GetOutputMessages method but did not empty the message collection in response to the UIMsg_OutputMessages event. This behavior is no longer supported as of TestStand 4.1. The message collection has been automatically emptied to prevent an unbounded increase in memory usage. Refer to the help for the UIMsg_OutputMessages event for instructions on how to correctly receive output messages."

Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,780 Views)

The output messages are not intended to be a logging mechanism. Why not just also call your own logging mechanism at the same time you generate the output message? Perhaps create a utility step which does both (i.e. create a step which does both and either make it a step template or a create a step type which does this), or a utility subsequence.

Hope this helps,

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,776 Views)