From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MEM_BAD_POINTER when calling VI with LVRT adapter

Hi,

I'm using TestStand 2010 and LabVIEW 2010.

One test (sequence) calls VIs that control Agilent 16900A logic analyzer: run and stop (Stop VI is attached for example).

These VIs use ActiveX - LA COM Automation client software.

Everything worked properly, until I switched the LabVIEW adapter from "Development System" to "LabVIEW Run-Time Engine" (in order to make deployment).

When a step that call the logic control VI is executed, I have got the error ”SmartHeap Library - MEM_BAD_POINTER", then "SmartHeap Library - SmartHeap error handler recursively re-entered"- and TestStand is crushed.

Never saw the such problem before.

Any help is appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,321 Views)

Hey Berezka,

Have you tried to isolate the problem to see if it's something that occurs just inside LabVIEW? Would it be possible for you to create a sample VI based on the VI you're having problems with, that runs in LabVIEW, and try deploying this VI from LabVIEW using the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine? Do you experience these errors from LabVIEW, either running the VI in the LabVIEW development environment or from a LabVIEW deployment?

The key here is to see if we can narrow down the source of this error.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,305 Views)

Hi Courtney,

This VI works fine in LabVIEW, I even built EXE based on this VI - it works too.

In the meantime I tried to connect with the logic via Visual C++ using the same LA COM Automation client software.

Wrote DLL with functions Run and Stop, created 2 steps in the TS sequence - the both call the DLL Stop function, loaded dynamically and unloaded when step is finished.

The first call is performed, the second call causes the "MEM_BAD_POINTER" error etc.

If the sequence has only one call to the DLL function (e.g. Stop) - I may run it several times successfully.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,295 Views)

Hi Berezka,

Would it be possible to get a screenshot of the error? This isn't one that I've encountered before so it will help me research what could be going wrong.

Best,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,281 Views)