From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 7.1 add flow control to TestStand

I am trying to write a LabVIEW vi that adds flow contol functions (FOR, FOR EACH . . .) to a TestStand main sequence, and create the needed Locals variables.

Respectfully,
Robert
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,490 Views)

Robert,

Can you be a bit more specific regarding any problems you are having with the task you undertaking?

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,485 Views)

My operators are using the "Debug" version of TestStand, so they can add steps to pre-existing sequences.  They asked me to write a custom step that opens a LabVIEW vi when they select/edit the custom "FOR EACH" step, so their entries will automatically insert/configure the "FOR EACH" step for them.  These changes/additions will be made when the sequence is not running.

Respectfully,

Robert

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,474 Views)
Hi Robert,

So are you trying have a LabVIEW action step that simply launches a VI, asks the user for a sequence file path, and then inserts a step into this sequence file?

If you are tyring to do something similiar, you may want to take a look at the Programmatically Inserting a Step Into a Test Sequence using LabVIEW example.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
Jonathan N.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,455 Views)

Jonathan,

The vi you suggested does not support flow control (FOR, FOR EACH . . .).  NewStep==>stepTypeName==>StepType_???

Do you have any suggestions for flow control commands?

Respectfully,

Robert

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,452 Views)

Hi Robert,

That example VI does support flow control, it just doesn't show it. The NewStep method in the example VI only shows pre-defined constants being converted to a string to be evaluated. Some of the step types do not have pre-defined constants. Thus you need to refer to the Type Palette to see what the string parameter "stepTypeName" should be. For example, as shown in the attached image, you would use the string NI_Flow_ForEach to insert that ForEach flow control step. For the "adapterKeyNameVal" parameter, you would just send in an empty string.

You can see the string names associated for each step type by opening the Type Palette and seleting the "NI_FlowControl.ini" file from the Palette drop down menu.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards

Jonathan N.
National Instruments
Message 6 of 9
(4,444 Views)

Johnathon,

Where would I find a list of these NI flow step types?

Respectfully,

Robert

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,428 Views)
Hi Robert,

As I mentioned in the previous post, the list of the NI types are found under the the Type Palette in TestStand. Then choose the correct .ini file such as the NI_FlowControl.ini file that shows the names of the flow control types. All you have to do is look there.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Jonathan
Jonathan N.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,423 Views)

Thank you,

Robert

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9