From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to step into a CVI dll when called by TestStand?

As the question says: "Is it possible to step into a CVI dll when called by TestStand?"

I am sure Ray F. may have a few tricks up his sleeves...  Hope you see this post, Ray! 🙂

I compiled a dll using CVI.  The dll is called as a test by TestStand.
I do have an "exe" version of the code that I use for debug with a testbed, but the behaviour is not the same as testing the actual target while running TestStand.  My goal is to get as close as possible to the real events.

Thanks,

JLV

Message 1 of 6
(3,482 Views)
JoeLabView,

There are two ways to debud a dll while being called from TestStand.

1: Step into CVI from TestStand.

Go
Message 2 of 6
(3,474 Views)
JoeLabView,

There are two ways to debud a dll while being called from TestStand.

1: Step into CVI from TestStand.

Go to
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,474 Views)

Sorry about that,

There are two ways as I was saying:

1. You can configure the CVI adapter to Execute Steps in a External Instance of CVI (requires CVI 6.0 or greater).

Only go to Configure->Adapters and select the LabWindows CVI adapter and click on configure and select the corresponding option.

After that set a break point in the step that you want to debug.

An external instance of CVI will be launched where you can set break points and step into the code.

2. From CVI Specifying an external process:

In CVI go to Run Specify External Process and enter the seqEdit.exe as the program name (you have to browse to the location <TestStand>\Bin\SeqEdit.exe).

As the argument you enter the name of the sequence file you want to debug.

Now just select Run->Debug SeqEdit.Exe

The Sequence Edtior will be launched and you can set break point in your CVI code and step into it when the step is executed.

Check the Using LabWindows/CVI with TestStand reference manual for more information.

I hope it helps you to get started.

Regards.

Message 4 of 6
(3,472 Views)

Thanks Antonio,

I thought I read somewhere that it could be done.  I was told by collegues that it could not.. 😞

I will try and report how it worked..

Thanks!

😄

Message 5 of 6
(3,462 Views)

Hi Antonio,

I come here for the same question. You know in the previous days, I always use the first way do enter into cvi and it successfully. Launch a external CVI run project and then break on the function. The .c file will on the top of the window.

JasonZha_0-1620625453750.png

But these days, I have a new PC install the TestStand 2010 and I try to enter into the CVI (using the same CVI project), it also load the cvi run project, but it is strange that do not break, even  there is no any other source file in the top of this CVI run project, just with a tscvirun_supp.c.

JasonZha_1-1620625554376.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,459 Views)